Saturday, August 14, 2004
PGD and "60 Minutes"
PGD is Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis performed on embryos. Many genetic abnormalities can now be discovered at an amazingly early stage of development (usually day 3 embryos).

PGD saved my heart. It saved my heart more ache. Had it not been for this amazing technology, I would have had several great looking embryos transferred and we would have frozen the rest. We had 9 microscopically good looking embryos on PGD day.

PGD determined all 9 to have severe chromosome abnormalities so I was spared the transfer, miscarriage, thaw, transfer and miscarriage.

PGD is illegal in Germany. It is extremely controversial. "60 Minutes" just had a show about PGD and the main story was a woman with several healthy boys who wanted a girl. Now she has twin girls to go with her many boys thanks to PGD. A small bit was about the true purpose of PGD and the amazing technology. The spin on that show was how selfish people get what they want with PGD.

Rescue ICSI was performed on my 11 oocytes 23 hours after retrieval and that has been shown to result in more severe chromosome abnormalities (oocytes cannot be fertilized at all after 24 hours):

http://humrep.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/17/9/2423
"CONCLUSIONS: Although unfertilized oocytes after IVF can be fertilized by ICSI, the developmental potential of the ensuing embryos is very poor. Therefore, rescue ICSI after total failure of fertilization is not recommended."

I like to believe that for some simple reason my husband's sperm cannot penetrate my eggs. My eggshell is too thick or his tails don't whip enough to break through. We did not expect such initial failure with IVF and it is amazing that 9 of the 11 fertilized after rescue ICSI.

Call me "selfish" or "arrogant" but I want to have a baby. A healthy baby. Mine and my husband's baby.

I believe that God gave us PGD. I believe that God gave us ICSI and IVF. I believe I am going to have a healthy baby because of and ONLY because of this technology.

I want to try IVF one more time. I want ICSI performed immediately after retrieval (when it is usually performed) and then I want PGD. THAT PGD will be the most important thing in my life.

PGD is my only hope right now.

posted by Julianna · 8/14/2004

0 Comments:
Post a Comment  •  Home