Tuesday, February 01, 2005
What I Say Now
I have had many cycles of responses to the question "do you have any kids?"; "how many children do you have?"; "do you want children?".......

I don't want to make these people feel uncomfortable and yet, I don't want to be vague, and I also don't want to talk about IT sometimes because I get a sinking feeling in my heart and my bottom lip wants to quiver and my voice begins to shake and I don't want to get tears in my eyes so I must find a way to stop it from escalating.

What I do now is tell them the truth. My intentions are to be honest and fill in as many blanks as possible in a three sentence period of time.

So, what do I say?

"We would love to have children and it has been a bit involved. We recently completed our second IVF that has been difficult to recover from........things are not looking good and it breaks my heart. It has been hard."

50% of the time, I get compassion.

50% of the time, I get advice.

100% of the time, my cards are on the table. I genuinely believe that people care.

Right now, for me, saying the pat sentence says it all in a nutshell.


posted by Julianna · 2/01/2005

9 Comments:
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I just found your blog and I am so very sorry for your tribulations. I have 4 children (that were never planned) and your story makes me appreciate them more. Why is it so easy for me and so impossible for you? I don't think I am more worthy, no, for sure, definitely. I don't think that me telling you about how hard parenting is will help, but, I am jealous of your free lifestyle. Enjoy the parties. If you ever have a child, all the fun is over.


Jane (the miserable mother and jealous of your freedom)  

At 12:42 AM, Blogger Kath said...
Good for you!

We (well, mainly I) have just started saying something similar. To, "when are you having kids" its "we are trying and we nearly got there once. So hopefully in a year of so we will have one". The facts with a positive spin. That way I dont feel so vacuous. At the beginning M. used to say "We have two dogs". I hated that on so many levels.  

At 6:34 AM, Blogger Dee said...
Just wanted to say that I know where you're coming from...completely.  

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Cricket said...
I get the other version now that I have a kid -although I was married 11 years before I had J, so I had my share of meddling, too.

"Is he your only one?"
"Yes," I reply.

"Do you plan to have more?"
I often respond, "I only have one, but it's not for a lack of trying."

That usually shuts 'em up.

Or if I'm feeling a little more gracious, "I just have one, but it's not by design."

I could go into the idea that I'm now a single mom screwed by an ex husband who has instead impregnated his new wife, but I'll save that for Jerry Springer.

However, I do have the personal mission to tell people that 'only children' aren't usually only children by choice. It just happened that way and the parents/children are not being selfish or narrow or short sighted.

(Sorry to hog space - am PMSy and you struck a nerve - in a good way, of course, so that perhaps other mothers of 4 don't say crap to mothers of 'none yet' or 'just one.')  

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I have learned to shut that conversation down by looking someone directly in the eye and saying, "I cannot have children." In almost 90% of the cases, that stops the conversation right then and there. It's because I look them right in the eye, something about that makes them uncomfortable to pursue the conversation further (especially if they don't know me). We had a party this weekend and someone asked me and I said that and she got a bit flustered (I mean, I just met her for heaven's sake and she's already quizzing me about kids!) and the thread was dropped.

xxoo,
Emily  

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Good for you. Gutsy and direct. The further along with ART I go, the more inclined I am to do this, too. I got LOTS of that this past weekend. I mostly just said, we would really like kids and are trying. Not much assvice, which is good b/c I think I would have punched someone.

Did anyone else think of the INXS song when they saw the title this post? Anyone? Anyone?  

At 2:03 PM, Blogger sweetisu said...
These questions are so.. tackless. But I myself might have asked the same questions that I now resent.

I've tried the vagueness before, and I've tried the straight up answer also. It depends on the audience / my mood at that particular moment.

BTW, Jane Troll, you just don't say things like that on an IF blog. Geez. Leave her alone and go on your miserable way.  

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Hey Julianna! According to Jane, your lifestyle is "free"! Free from what, exactly? Fear? Pain? Anguish? Self-Loathing? A sense of loss of purpose?

Oh, maybe she is just talking about all the money we non-mommies save. Gee Jane, I "saved" about 42,000 last year. If, of course, "saved" means spent on IVF, polyp surgery, lots of drugs, lost time from work, etc.

Sorry, J, I didn't mean to go off in your comments section. I am just a little raw today.  

At 4:52 PM, Blogger E. said...
I'm not even going to get started on Jane.

Julianna, that takes guts! I always go all deer in the headlights and dumbly say "no." The topic is generally not pursued, so I assume I must get some sort of panicked look.

I hope one day soon, my dear, you can simply say "yes."  

Post a Comment  •  Home