Thursday, January 20, 2005
HAAAAAAAA CHHHOOOOOOO
It started when I was in kindergarten, I had a cute little dress that must have been too short.

Why my Mama let me out of the house, at that age.....with a mini dress on...is beyond me.

I remember I had an umbrella so it must have been raining and I must have been late because I remember the class was full. There was a closet just inside the classroom and as I opened it to put my umbrella in (I guess those were the rules), my umbrella fell and as I bent over to pick it up, the entire class saw my holey panties. I remember hearing laughter and teases and snickers and my teacher called me to her desk and said I needed to remember to throw those panties away when I got home. I wanted to disappear. My teacher reminded me again at the end of the day, to throw those panties away. I remember thinking "no shit." - I had a foul mind even at that age.

That is my first embarrassing moment, that I can recall.

I think embarrassment comes from being stupid or just downright, not paying attention. Every time I have been embarrassed, it has been of my own accord.

Not too long ago, I borrowed my husband's new nose trimmer. I had never used a nose trimmer. Unfortunately, I went to my make-up mirror with the fancy trimmer in hand, and even put my mirror on the high magnification mode. As I placed that clipper to get the few hairs that bugged me, I became entertained. I found that contraption rather amazing. I made another swoop with the clipper and it was incredibly satisfying to see all those hidden hairs fall onto my make-up vanity. Who knew there were so many hairs way up there in one's nose! I had a project now and I went at it. Painlessly, I removed every hair that that little trimmer could reach without going into my sinuses.

DON'T EVER DO THAT!

Your nose hairs are there for a reason, they act as filters for your body.

After about two days, all those hairs began to come back and it took me about 2 weeks to stop sneezing and itching. I drove everyone crazy around me. "Stop itching your nose!", "Why are you pinching your nose?", "Damn, would you stop sneezing!" - yep, I surround myself with love.


So, I went to Wendy's for lunch.

Surprisingly, there was no one ahead of me in line and I ordered a cheeseburger (no onion) and fries. There were many people seated and about 5 people came in behind me.

I stood at the counter for about 4 minutes (which is long for Wendy's) and finally my tray with french-fries was placed in front of me. I was starving, and started eating my fries off of the tray while waiting for my burger. I LOVE Wendy's fries. A man came up who had been seated and wanted a drink refill. He was standing beside me, to my left. I was in front of my tray. Everyone else was lined up to my right. I continued to eat one fry at a time and finally my burger was placed on the tray........ only.........it looked like a double burger and not the single burger that I ordered and it also looked like there were some onions visible. I proceeded to unwrap it so that I could tell the girl behind the counter that she made a mistake because I ordered a single.

About that time, the man to my left said, "When your food comes, can I put my fingers all over it too?".

He must have been there just before me and had simply gone to claim a table. Obviously, he gulped his drink fast if he was already needing a refill.

I offered to buy his lunch but he just grabbed his tray and was pissed. I mean really, I had eaten a lot of his fries! After I got my tray, I walked to his table and again apologized and offered to at least give him my full fries. He was still pissed and said "forget about it".

No matter my age, when stuff like this happens, all I want to do is go home and go to bed and pull the covers over my head and disappear.

posted by Julianna · 1/20/2005

19 Comments:
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
NOW I KNOW you are beautiful. If someone like me had been chowing on someone elses food, I'd have gotten smacked. I imagine that you look like Courtney Cox or Julia Roberts.

Thanks for the heads up about the trimmers. Nope, won't do THAT now.

April  

At 2:06 PM, Blogger ~L said...
Oh, Julianna, those are some pricelss embarrassing moments. I must note though: Ahem, Wendy's Man, Obviously, if someone puts fries in front of you (and you are the only customer), that results in you thinking those are your fries. Wendy's Man was just being a total jackass if you ask me.  

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Cricket said...
I can't go to Wendy's. I used to love it, then my hometown finally got one around 1978. I got a job there, worked my ass off at the "all time high producing, record breaking new Wendy's" location. It was teenaged hell.

Probably 10 years later, I realized that whenever my ex and I went there to eat, I would pick a fight. I stopped going, a real mental health issue. Maybe I could sue.

Your dress incident really struck a chord. My mother used to make my dresses when I was growing up. She put these 3' long zippers down the back. One day in 2nd grade at the beginning of the day, I heard the snickers. I was sitting sideways in my chair (in order to face the teacher front of the room from our little desk cluster) and this revealed, advertised even, that my dress was completely unzipped, even peekabooing panties on the bottom side. I still cringe. How could a mom let her kid go out that way? Oh, yeah, she's the mom who mistook Mai Tais mixed in tupperware for Kool-Ade and my sister and I took libations in our Thermoses to school.

In my case, at least the dress could be zipped. Your panties couldn't be changed.

I once read an etiquette warning. If someone has something wrong that can be corrected (slip too long, button undone, ketchup on the chin), it is appropriate to point it out. If it is something that can't immediately be corrected (hole in arm pit, hem coming undone, mismatched socks), it is best to leave it alone.

So much for your teacher. She could have used an etiquette lesson, plus a couple other lessons, like a knuckle sandwich.

PS - Blogger sucks. I'm composing all posts and comments in separate emails now. Can't trust it.  

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Well that guy at Wendy's was just a jerkface. If you did a forgivable thing then apologized and he was still a jerk, then screw him. I hate when people act like that.

When we were growing up my parents were in the choir at church and it was always a rush getting all five kids ready and out the door early on a Sunday morning. During Mass, all the little kids would go sit up on the altar. One Sunday, my little sister went up there. She was about five. She also had a short dress on but somehow there was a Mass preparation SNAFU b/c she had on no underwear at all! On the altar. At Mass! Nope, we'll never forget that one.  

At 4:32 PM, Blogger Miss X said...
Oh Julianna, you poor thing! That Wendy's guy was a jerk! I would have just died.

And as far as the holes in the panties - my mom took me shopping when I was around 4 when I lifted up my dress to reveal that she had forgotten to put any panties on me! She was with a bunch of people and was horrified and quickly bought me some underwear.

Your situation would have scarred me for life!  

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Ohhhhhhhh..........You wonderful ladies are making me feel so much better! I am laughing so hard at your stories!

April.......definitely not Courtney Cox....imagine a younger Meryl Streep (I hear that often)or lately, I hear Virginia Madson. So, yeah, kinda like that but size 12 now. ugggghhhhhh

Baren, yes, it was the rotary type nose hair clippers that were in my husbands kit. Never, EVER, again!

I love the NO panties stories!! TOO HILARIOUS!!!!!

MORE, MORE!!!!! I want to hear more embarrassing stories!

Y'all are making me feel so much less humiliated, in a good way, of course.  

At 5:12 PM, Blogger Sandy said...
Oh my goodness, this post and the responses were exactly what I needed today! I'm upstairs actually laughing out loud at the Wendy's story! I'm really starting to think we were twins separated at birth!

So here are the current top three most embarrassing stories in my life. Hope this isn't too long.

The first involves a coffee shop called Tim Horton's, which we have here in Canada. I'm not known to be a morning person, so that should set it up for you. I would drive to work every day with my friend, in her little blue mazda, and we'd stop at the same Tim's every day. I'd go in, get the coffee, come out and we'd go on our way. Worked well. Until the day I went in, got the coffee, came out, got in the car, put the coffee on the floor, reached to put my seat belt on and came face to face with a woman I'd never seen before in my life. I looked over her shoulder to see my friend sitting, in her little blue mazda, about three cars over, pissing herself laughing. The woman in the car is just staring at me...not saying a word. I put the seatbelt back, picked up my tray of coffee, said "have a good day" to the strange woman, and got out of her car. My friend still laughs so hard when she tells that story today she can't get through it. I just think it's a hoot that the woman never said one single word to me! I guess I look harmless.

Second story: come out of the washroom at work, and stand there talking to a coworker, who is trying to tell me something but is laughing so hard she can't get her words out. It would appear that I had tucked my long black skirt inside my pantyhose ... and my arse was flapping to the wind ... and I do mean arse, since I was one of those who didn't wear panties under the hose in those days.

And finally, for years I sang the same psalm every year at the Easter Vigil. In our parish, the singer goes to the podium/lectern, sings the psalm and to lead the congregation in, she/he raises her arms up in the air in invitation. this particular psalm is nice and long, so I raised my arms up nice and high oh probably five or six times. Went back to my seat, looked down. Blouse wide open. Yep. The priest told me he expected attendance to be up the next day. I've worn a turtle neck every Easter Vigil since ... just on principle!

So there you go! Thanks for bringing a chuckle to me tonight!  

At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
OMG! Oh, stop. My stomach is hurting! This is the most hilarious post and the comments are even better! My side hurts!

Jacqueline
Jacquie@yahoo.com  

At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
That is so fucking funny. Was he watching you while you ate his fries off of the tray? He was probably brewing as you were knawing on his french-fries and then he just exploded. That is so funny. I'm glad you ate the assholes french-fries. He deserved it.

Katie
katie who lurks and has never commented before now  

At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
"gnawing", no wonder I only lurk.

Katie
wish I had kept silent, I embarrassed myself with that spelling  

At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I did the same thing before at Wendy's, but I only ate two fries before I realized they didn't belong to me. It's so embarrassing. Luckily I wasn't caught.  

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Jenni said...
A family I know sent out photo Christmas cards in 2003 with their college-aged daughters sitting on a bench. Someone didn't proof the photo very well, because you can see right up one daughter's skirt. It was the first thing my (now ex)boyfriend said when he saw it. At least your underpant fiasco wasn't photo-captured and sent out to all your friends and family!

And, please don't continue to feel badly about the Wendy's guy. You did what you could as far as trying to correct the situation. That's all you can control, so don't worry about the rest!  

At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
What a poor sport that Wendy's guy was. He really stood right behind you and watched you eat his fries and open his sandwich and didn't say anything until the end? Talk about passive aggressive. If it had been me, I would have laughed myself silly and thanked you for it. As a matter of fact, you're welcome to my fries anytime.

Kimm  

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Lori said...
What a jerk that guy at Wendy's was! I too would have assumed a tray with nothing but french fries on it was part of my order if no one else was waiting around. But don't you hate it when someone else's rude behavior makes YOU feel uncomfortable for a long time after!

Thanks for the nose hair trimmer warning - who'd a thought!  

At 10:04 AM, Blogger sweetisu said...
The post, and the comments are so funny!!! Thank you for the laugh.

Not the nostrils! That's aweful, I'm so sorry!

I have a wind story.
I was in high school, or was it junior high - anyway that is irrelavant - while walking up the stair case to my next class, I just let it go! There were lots of people behind me and I wanted to die! Luckily it was a quiet (but lethal!!!) one.
Maybe they didn't know it was me? :)  

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Kristin said...
How about having a bird fly over and shit right on your shoulder? My family still teases me about that to this day.  

At 4:00 PM, Blogger E. said...
Oh Lordy. One of my top five embarrassing stories: In college, I heard through the grapevine that this cute guy liked me. We ended up going to some kind of event together, after which we returned to my apartment. Since I lived there with five other women, we went in my room to hang out. We talked and kissed and snuggled, and that was it -- but we ended up lying there drunkenly together kind of half-asleep. Then I started wheezing, and had to cough in the worst way. There was no more kissing after that -- I sounded like I had tuberculosis. I kept trying to clear my lungs/throat with just normal coughs, but it didn't work. My chest was actually whistling. Finally, I jumped up and went into the kitchen so I could cough a little more thoroughly. No dice. Finally I returned to my room, where we laid there while I whistled. He finally said goodnight and left. As you can imagine, that was the end of that. I did have a good cough after he left, though.  

At 2:58 AM, Blogger Mare said...
What a jerk that guy was. Were you supposed to have a psychic monitor of who had been there before you and had already ordered? And just maybe the person behind the counter might have said, when putting the tray down, that it belonged to the guy ahead of you who had gone to get a table? Ugh. I would have felt like dumping the remaining fries on his head.  

At 11:52 AM, Blogger Julianna said...
Y'all make me feel better!

Special note to "Katie who lurks" and "Tracey" - I'm glad y'all took the time to introduce yourselves. Nice meeting you.  

Post a Comment  •  Home