Sunday, January 16, 2005
Keepin' It Real
Let's keep it real, 'cause I'm keepin' it real.

Many things run through my crazy head.

I think of my blog as my journal and need to remember that someone may be reading it so I try to spell check and place commas and periods where they belong (I still question my apostrophe's - should there be one after comma and period? and should I have put one after apostrophe?). I try to make it more understandable by occasionally editing myself. I am nice like that.

I totally appreciate the talents of good blog writers but sometimes I sense their effort and I wish they would just write, don't worry about the grade, just keep it real. I probably think this way because I don't appreciate their perfect sentences as much as I appreciate their honesty and their drama and their story.

I have even read some comments about "your best writing yet!" etc... and I think that puts pressure on one to be "talented" here in blogland. I have even sensed there is a writing clique and I imagine them editing each others posts before they click "publish".

So, I am raw. I despise the idea of someone reading this and grading me. To those people, I say "please don't tell me what would have made this better and how I could have organized my paragraphs better". Occasionally, I get emails from someone who loves to critique me. Actually, I think that is a very arrogant place to position yourself - high up above me and snooting about how much better my post could have been.

I AM NOT A WRITER. I HAVE NEVER CLAIMED TO BE A WRITER. WHEN I ASK FOR YOUR OPINION, IT WILL BE CLEAR (as in the apostrophe question above). OTHER THAN THAT, KINDLY QUIT READING MY BLOG WITH YOUR TEACHER'S PEN.

Why? Because it fucks with my mind. It makes me think of things I shouldn't be thinking about. I am here to purge my soul and my soul does not punctuate while it purges.


Another thing on my mind:

I have been very aware of my mortality since I was a little girl. I guess that makes me a bit neurotic - who knew! So, I just read a brilliant piece about death and dying and procreating and leaving generations in this world. I was actually such an asshole, that I told her it was "magazine worthy" - like who the hell am I now?


Another thing on my mind:

I need to purge my panty drawer. I am more worthy than most of those panties and I am going to buy new underwear today. I may even throw some socks and bras away while I am at it. Yesterday, I wore a bra that was so old it squeaked! Apparently the underwires are wearing thin. Yep, I am more worthy than most of those things in my drawers.


Another thing on my mind:

I am going to have start putting the pressure on my husband about IVF#3. I am completely hopeless without it. In the deepest part of me, I know that is my only chance of ever having a child. We will be married 4 years at the end of May. I have never been more aware of my age than since I turned 40. I want to have a consult with Dr. Beautiful and hear what she has to say, even though I think I already know - "we don't know why this happens", "we can only guess it is the eggs", "I'd really like to see you try it again", "you have excellent response from the meds and excellent fertilization rates with ICSI".....yadda ...yadda.....yadda.

I just don't want to have any regrets when I am in my grave.

I live my life like I am dying. It is actually a good place to be. I want to try IVF one more time before I die. My husband will wonder if I will ever give up, he is already happy and fulfilled. A child would be a great bonus to him, but leaving behind a generation is not anything that he really thinks about.

I want my granddaughter's daughter to hear how much she reminds everyone of her great-grandmother. Yes, I want that.

Is that too much to ask?


posted by Julianna · 1/16/2005

13 Comments:
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yeah, I sense the cliques too - I agree with Marla - fuck them.

Someone critiques YOU? - fuck them gone!

I happen to love the way you write and I happen to think you are a very talented writer, it is the rawness that I appreciate so much and your honesty. I hope you don't think I am putting myself in a place to judge writing, I am just in a place to tell you that I love reading about you and I am so glad that you have a blog.

Is that too much to ask you ask - absofuckinglutely not.

April  

At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Someone had the nerve to complain about your grammar or spelling? Well, that's plain crazy. I'd hate to think of what they'd say about me.

Going to add my two cents, even though you certainly didn't ask. How about another clinic for IVF #3? I've heard CCRM has great stats and hell, I just want good things for you. Because, like good underwear and bras, you deserve the best.

Sorry to be so nosy.  

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Sandy said...
I know that I find myself editing myself sometimes, and that's when I know I'm writing for my pretend audience, and not for myself. Which does me no good. Good luck with the decisions ahead Julianna and remember my mother's advice...opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one. (I always thought there was more to that comment, but according to Ma, apparently not!)  

At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
It's not to much to ask, not at all. I completely understand.

I don't worry about my grammar and spelling (obviously, anyone who reads my blog knows that ;)) and just figure that I'm not read by someone who wants to read the work of someone erudite. I love your blog because you are so honest.

xxoo,
Emily  

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Cricket said...
I understand what you're saying. I like to write, but it doesn't make me a writer. I cook, but I'm definitely not a chef. Transcribing feelings isn't a competition, although BoB and BoB readers seem to think so.

I share your feelings about resemblances and wrote a bit about it myself today - I want to pass along my genes, faulty as they may be in some areas. I have the tree and names for about 650 grandparents (it boggles the mind) for my son. I do not want to stray into the anonymous for a potential next child. I'm sorry if it sounds cold, but I feel strongly about it. I have almost 1000 years of established genealogy and it is important to be going back as well as going forward.  

At 9:09 AM, Blogger Jeangenie said...
If you seriously want to learn punctuation, the best book in the world is http://eatsshootsandleaves.com/
Basically, never use an apostrophe with plurals.

But I would never dream of telling anyone that without being asked, so please take this in the spirit you asked the question! :)  

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Julianna said...
Wow! I do suck at apostrophes.

I took the test http://eatsshootsandleaves.com/ - ummmm, yeah.......I need work.

I was very good with my commas, however.

Thank you very much. Thank you, very much. Thank,you,very,much. Thank. You. Very. Much.  

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Wow! When I read the forst few lines of your blog I had to flip over to Amazon to get the author (Lynne Truss) of Eats, Shoots & Leaves so I could tell you. But I see Jeangenie (now I have that song in my head) beat me to it. Who cares, though, about how you punctuate your blog? Seriously. Also one of the reasons I don't have one. If I just poured my soul out, the last freakin' thing I would want would be someone emailing me and saying, "Uh, the apostrophe is in the wrong place.." F them!!

ANYWAY... I understand more than you know about wanting to leave something in this world. Ahh I will have to email you...  

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Kristin said...
Cliques ar so junior high...and you could never, ever pay me enough to revisit that hell.

As for your final question, that is never too much to ask. I don't know what you look like but I do know you are a beautiful person and that is something that should be passed on.  

At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Cricket, for those of us how are adopting: we do not "stray" into it like lost puppy dogs. So, yes, it did sound cold (and rather harsh.)

Marla
Middle Way  

At 5:44 PM, Blogger E. said...
No -- that's definitely not too much to ask. And I love your blog, and love your writing. And the fact that your bra squeaked made me laugh and laugh. Love you. :)  

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Miss X said...
It's not too much to ask at all. I pray you get that and so much more.

And I'm with ya on keeping it real.

Love your blog.  

At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I don't understand the judgments. Your blog, your style, their blog, their style, I say. In library school, I learned this phrase: "a book for every reader and a reader for every book." I think this applies to blogs too. Hell, I like to read you all and I appreciate and enjoy the different writing styles. If y'all wrote the same way, I'd only have to read one and I'd get a heck of a lot more work done around the house. How about if everybody just stops with the criticisms all around?

Kimm  

Post a Comment  •  Home