Thursday, January 06, 2005
I Think I Am Pregnant.....For The Fortieth Time
For three and a half years, I have had pregnancy symptoms.

You would think that I would get desensitized, you'd think that I would not hope so much each and every month.

I don't talk about it anymore to people in my real life. It is truly old and hurts those who care about me. I had them ride my roller coaster of hell way too many times.

The calmest months of my marriage have been when my husband has traveled while I was ovulating so I wasn't so upset when the toilet paper showed the first signs of pink as my uterus began its contractions. I still get terrible cramps and have heavy periods, even at my age.


I used to work at an office full of women who knew my cycle and we would all hone into my symptoms excitedly and then I would tell them that I miscarried when I started my period. They would tell me how horrible it was......that I started my period AND that I was joking about it. Humor is what pulled me through and then we would all count on the next month as being THE month.


My dog used to have false pregnancies. After she was in heat, and about when she would be delivering, she turned into the demon dog knocking over lamps and acting crazy because she was trying so desperately to build a nest for her upcoming imaginary puppies. Thankfully, dogs don't go into heat every month, I think it is only a few times a year. Even so, I finally had to get her fixed because her false pregnancies got worse and worse with every cycle. My vet even offered a pet psychologist for her. Leave it to me to have a dog that needs therapy. The hysterectomy took care of her psychosis.

I am cursed with having false pregnancies for the past 40 months. I don't act a fool like my lovely Chelsea did but I can see how it could happen. I totally relate to her, getting excited about babies and then wanting to tear up the house.

If someone tells me a symptom, I get it. Shortness of breath? Tiredness? Twinges in the breast? Gingivitis? Bags under the eyes? Lower back pain? Discharge that is different? Veiny breasts? Nausea? Cravings? Emotional? ....... i could go on and on.


Because I have completely exhausted those around me with my hopes every month, may I indulge you here?

Grab a chair, let me tell you all about it! I ovulated exactly a week ago. I had beautiful mucous when my husband and I were on our mini vacation, the first day no less! Wouldn't that be a wonderful place to conceive!! I know exactly when I ovulate, I am so lucky that way! My uterus started twinging on or about day 5 post ovulation, about when my blastocyst would be nestling in (maybe even plural! blastocysts! twins do run in my family!). My breasts are sore and I do think that I have more veins than usual.


I have had a cold and have been very careful of the Theraflu - just in case! I am very cautious of my actions while I wait like this........I know, I know........after over 3 years of this two week wait, I should just let loose and not be so careful.........but........what if!!! What if it finally happens to me! This month! Right now! I won't know for sure until next week, so in the meantime, I will not take the Theraflu, or too many advils, or drink more wine than I should, I will also be careful of spending time in the jacuzzi, I will eat well and rest plenty. I will provide my embryo with the best possible chance........just in case. Sometimes at night, I even place my hands on my lower belly and imagine peace and glowing health and happiness and I even encourage our little embryo on its journey.....just in case.

When I talk like this, do you look away with knowing eyes? Do you not hold out hope for me either?

When I come here next Wednesday and tell you that my cramps have started, will you be surprised? Will you wonder why I am disappointed?

Will you wish I would just let you know if it ever happens and spare you all the dramatic details too?


posted by Julianna · 1/06/2005

27 Comments:
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
"Do you not hold out hope for me either?"
I almost always have hope, and I do now>

"When I come here next Wednesday and tell you that my cramps have started, will you be surprised?"
I don't know.
"Will you wonder why I am disappointed?"
Of course not,and I will be disappointed for you.

"Will you wish I would just let you know if it ever happens and spare you all the dramatic details too?"
Nope, or I wouldn't come and read your blog. :-)

-Abby (abfausto@hotmail.com)  

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
No, I will not look away. Instead, I will look you in the eye, smile and hold out hope for you.

I'm here for you.

xxoo,
Emily  

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
I agree with what Amanda said. With MF, it is actually a relief to not have to go through the hope, the "putting yourself out there" every month just in case. In a small way, it is a blessing to know it could not happen without treatment.

There is no reason why you are NOT pregnant this month. So until you can test/AF shows please tell us every twinge, symptom, etc. you are experiencing. And definitely take care of your cute self!  

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Sandy said...
I will join the list of people who will look you straight in the eye and listen to every symptom you list, until you give me a verdict. But the evil part of me can't help but say this ... wouldn't it just suck if the "just relax and it will happen" assvice we all always hear came true and we all had to eat a big old crow pie??? But for you, I'd hunker down with a fork and eat two slices of that pie while the "just relax" brigade did the "told you so" dance around our table!  

At 7:08 PM, Blogger Dee said...
I do hold out hope for you Julianna, for this cycle just as I have for your other cycles. And no, I don't think it's at all strange for you to put your hands on your belly and envision life growing within--heck, I've done that myself on more than one occasion.

So here I sit, hoping with you, wishing with you. And I'll be here for the dramatic details, whether they're positive or not. You're in my thoughts and heart and I wait with you. Be good to yourself in the coming week...you deserve it regardless.  

At 8:21 PM, Blogger Cricket said...
I am so there.

I have more hope for you than I have for myself.  

At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Of course I will hold out hope, we all have to have hope for each other. I will also never wonder why you're disappointed, I know that same disappointment very well (and hey....maybe you won't be disappointed). And don't ever spare any details, you say what you feel and that's important for you, and for us.
Good luck, thinking good thoughts for you. I'll give my fertility god a good rub for you (yes, I really have one). :)

thisgirl
thisgirl.blog-city.com  

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
You ladies are making my cheeks wet......from drips.....from my eyes.......oh no........is it my pregnancy hormones or y'all??

I'll tell you a sad story. It was the last time I drew my lovely husband into my drama.

I had ordered some curtains for our bedroom that were taking FOREVER to come.....day after day.....week after week.......I checked my door for the delivery of my custom curtains. FINALLY! They arrived. I opened them. They were PERFECT! I was so excited.

My husband came home from work and at the first sign of the garage door opening, I bolted out the door and was jumping up and down with excitement.....

he saw me.....

he was so excited to see me smiling and jumping in my shoes and he just knew............

I said: "you wouldn't believe what I got today!!!"

He came towards me and was smiling excitedly and said:
"you are pregnant!!"

It broke my heart. He knew I had been hoping and waiting and wanting.........he just didn't know it was just the curtains that day.....it was just the curtains.

To see him like that.......so happy and then crushed.....I learned to not involve him with every detail of my twinges and signs.

God, how I love my husband. Since then, he has never known when I am due for my period.....he has to know when I am ovulating, but I don't give him the gory details of everything else.

Thank you ladies for your support.  

At 12:04 AM, Blogger ankaisa said...
I do have hope for you! It just might happen, you never know. Maybe something was just right this month. I'll be disappointed if you are not pregnant.  

At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm hoping for you...

Amanda (cst074@hotmail.com)  

At 12:37 PM, Blogger E. said...
I'm hopeful! And you were on that vacation. :) I think a BFN is always disappointing, even a few years in. I'll be here to share your joy or your sorrow.  

At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
You've posted so many sad thoughts so many times, I think it reflects well on you that you can still think "maybe this month." Resiliency is a wonderful thing. It does happen, too, sometimes -- my husband and I finally conceived while on vacation on, I swear, the very day we had decided that I would quit my job to go into an IVF program (after everything else had failed). Best wishes.

And no, I'm not one of those asses who says "well, you just needed to relax...."  

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Lori said...
I'm hoping you'll be able to jump up and down with good news and this time it WILL be a positive test. That would be awesome and so fantastic.

...and don't want to bug you on your comments, but since I couldn't find an email address for you anywhere, I was hoping you might tell me why you chose Stanford for your IVFs. Did you look into any others? You can email me batoral@yahoo.com if you'd like.

Lori  

At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hoping for good news. That story about your husband was so sweet, by the way. I know how you feel on that one. Take care, you.  

At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh Julianna - you made me cry with your curtains story.
IF can be SO SO hard.

I hope for you. I want to hear all of it, not just the good bits.

Kinneret
kinneretb@gmail.com  

At 1:22 AM, Blogger Jeangenie said...
Never give up hope, Julianna. I'll keep hoping for you too.  

At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I pity you, I truly do. When will you see that God has other plans for you? When will you see the other roads in front of you? How much longer will you put your poor husband through your misery? So many children need a home and you continue to be so self-absorbed! What a pity.

Signed,
A fellow Christian who only wants the best for you.  

At 3:16 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Any new symptoms we can analyze today?  

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Hello Anon, thank you for your concern. I think it might be a good idea if you start praying for me every day until I start thinking the way you do.  

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Why Amy, since you asked!! My breasts are more and more tender every day......even feeling a bit "bulgy" today. Thanks to Cricket for giving me yet another sign, but truly, my coo coo (vulva area), is a deep dark purple......I never noticed it that dark before. Cricket mentioned that darkening of the vulvalar region is a sign of pregnancy because of blood flow to that region of the body.........I would ask my husband if it looks different to him, but he would know something is up, and I don't want to give him false hope. Welcome to my little world. Are you sorry you asked?  

At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
What the hell else is there, if there is no hope?

It happens. It happens all the time that people get pregnant naturally after years of trying. Why not you?

Wishing for the best...

patricia
http://laf.typepad.com/  

At 11:24 AM, Blogger E. said...
Hi Julianna -- just checking in to let you know I'm still hoping!

Also, I have a quote that might interest the "fellow Christian" on this thread:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

It's by another fellow Christian, CS Lewis.  

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Hey! Sore boobs and a purple hoo-ha. We'll take it! I am keeping everything crossed for you...  

At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Working Princess, aka Bitch.

Fuck off already.  

At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Aw, yes, people who are the voice of God. God must have made that awful earthquake so those dreadful people could drown to death. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all could play God? We could interpret so many of life's mysteries.

My sweetie, I am hoping beyond hope for you that a.) you stop attracting people who speak for God and b.)that you are pregnant.

Marla
Middle way  

At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I dont think that anyone should be so rude to come and write rudely when someone needs support and ecouragment because i to know how it feels to want a child of your own.It is very dissapointing and can drive a woman insane waiting month after month on that posotive pregnancy test. I believe that there is so much hope and that GOD can work miracles!!! I will pray for you...do not give up hope and take it a day at a time! I to know that i can drive my husband crazy speaking to him about things that happen within my body but it really is just a women thing and i talk to anyone that will hear me out because i need that hope and ecouragement and i am proud of you that you had the strenght to come out and speak to the world about whats going on in your life because there too is someone out there that is going through the same thing and you may be reaching out to them and giving them hope when they most need it!So please continue on writing and letting us know what happens with every detail you would like to share i will listen and cry and be sad with you! Im here for you!

Karen  

At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
what if u were me after 3 years cortizone therapy and all the doctors disaapointed you of having a child of your own.what about your cramps suddenly stops because of lack of hormones not producing from your Hypophesis gland for the reason of a tumor like me.have a lot of hopes cos you are so front.
i still have hope and will do as much as i can to have our own child after 13 years loving each other.  

Post a Comment  •  Home