Thursday, December 23, 2004
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
"13 Teachings of Rabbi Y'srael Salanter"

TRUTH - Do not say anything unless you know in your heart that it is true.

ALERTNESS - A minute is too precious to waste. Time must be properly utilized.

DILIGENCE - Decide what needs to be done, then do it enthusiastically and well.

RESPECT - Honor every person. He may not be your friend but he is a human being.

PEACE OF MIND - Be calm and composed and let it show in everything you do.

GENTLENESS - Wise men speak gently. Develop the habit and you will find yourself being listened to.

CLEANLINESS - Respect your body and clothing. Keep them clean.

PATIENCE - Whatever happens, often it will be unpleasant - accept it with calm and patience.

ORDERLINESS - Make your willpower the master of your time. Plan, organize, and follow through.

HUMILITY - You are not perfect. Recognize your weaknesses. Ignore the faults of others.

RIGHTEOUSNESS - Always do the right thing, plain and simple, what moral law demands and more.

THRIFT - Every penny should be spent carefully. Money can do too much to be wasted.

SILENCE - Choose your words carefully. Don't talk unless you have something worthwhile to say.



posted by Julianna · 12/23/2004

6 Comments:
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
I'll admit that I am the first who needs these words of wisdom. I was at a restaurant in Charleston (Hyman's Seafood) and these teachings are on the back of the business cards there. I wish I could live by these rules.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.  

At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I have failed on:

Alertness
Diligence
Peace of mind
Gentleness
Cleanliness
Patience
Orderliness
Humility
Thrift
Silence

Wow. I suck.

So, I guess I'm good on Truth, Respect and Righteousness. It's a start, huh?

Danae/Hardscrabble  

At 10:47 PM, Blogger Cricket said...
This one is my fav:
"SILENCE - Choose your words carefully. Don't talk unless you have something worthwhile to say."

First, I quibble, b/c I must ask, "Worthwhile to whom?"

Second, does blogging count? I've always got sumtin ta say, but it doesn't make noise per se.  

At 6:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I love that you posted teachings by a Jewish Rabbi just before Xmas! *grin*
A happy holiday to you and yours and a happy New Year - hopefully it brings you everything you've been dreaming of.
Kinneret  

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Jeangenie said...
To Anonymous, above: Michael Caine's Christian daughter has a godfather who's Jewish ... stick with the 10 Commandments and you can't go far wrong. :)

To Julianna: Have a relaxing wonderful Christmas, and may the New Year be a good one. I still pray for you. :)  

At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Dear Juliana,

I find you witty and funny and vulnerable. I hope that the coming year brings you a pregnancy that you so desire. I have been keeping up with your story through blogspot and have grown attached to you. It is very weird, caring so much about another person that I have never met but I hope that you get your wishes fulfilled so very much.

I am de-lurking to wish you a very merry Christmas and a Happy Miracle Year.

Nanette (nanettey@yahoo.com)  

Post a Comment  •  Home