Friday, December 03, 2004
Ignorance Is Bliss
I wish I didn't know what I know.

I wish I could skip along in this big wonderful world and not pause.

I pause at things that most people bounce over in life.

I never had a "now we will start a family" and it happen as it should.

I never had a positive pregnancy test that came with an anticipated happy end.

I am taken aback at normal conversations.

If I hear someone announce "we are going to start a family now", I pause.

When I hear someone announce "it's time for our little Johnny to have a sibling", I stop.

I backstep when I hear someone blissfully announce when their baby will be born and how the nursery will look.

My sister had my nephew 3 months premature. He weighed 1 pound and 9 ounces. He looked like a little bird in a nest. Saying "it changes your life" is an understatement. The world stops turning and nothing else matters. My brother-in-law had to get back to work so I moved to be with my sister to take her to and from the hospital every day for 4 months until he was finally able to come home. I sat in that little labor waiting room, surrounded by blissful families who had normal deliveries and births. It was very difficult to witness so many people skipping. Day in and day out, my sister sat and massaged and talked to her son. Only parents and grandparents were allowed in the NICU, so I could only occasionally see his isolete through the glass if he was close enough. One time the doctor allowed me to scrub up and go in and it was the first time in my life that I felt my soul extend, trying to comfort this little fragile being with all my might. Words mean nothing. I had the sense that it is possible to surround someone with love in an unexplainable manner. My nephew is miraculously fine, with the exception of scars near his nipples where the chest tubes were and teeny, tiny scars all over his wrists and ankles, he is an amazingly normal 16 year old.

I was with my sister when the blissfully pregnant Julia Roberts was interviewed on the Oprah Winfrey show. Julia had no pause, no stop, no backstep. I discussed this with my sister who said, "let her have that", "let her have that naive bliss", "how wonderful it would be to not be ruined forever by simple, normal everyday things".

It made me think a bit about how I am ruined.

I am ruined of ignorant bliss.




posted by Julianna · 12/03/2004

3 Comments:
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Sandy said...
It definitely sucks. On a good day, I can make myself believe that this journey makes me appreciate what I do have more thoroughly. On a bad day I wonder if I'll ever be able to exhale if we do manage to get pregnant. I'm sorry about your loss of bliss. You know what's weird? When my husband first met me, he described the feeling he got as "instant bliss", and our friends called us Mr. and Mrs. Bliss for years! He even wrote a song about it. The message there for me is that bliss did fade, but strength and love and solidness stayed behind.  

At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
That is *exactly* how I feel. I am ruined -- forever. When I hear these normal conversations I just tend to drift away from the situation and listen to them with one ear. They could be talking about the best oil for their car and it would get the exact same reaction out of me. This just sucks.

xxoo,
Emily
scrambledeggs  

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Kristin said...
That is so dead on accurate.  

Post a Comment  •  Home