Friday, November 12, 2004
Grits and Country Ham
A week from today, I will be in my home country. South Carolina is as far removed as another country can be. I love California and I love South Carolina. I can't wait to see my family. I miss them so very much. My mother, my sisters, my nephew but almost most importantly, my dog. When I met M. and he told me he was allergic to dogs I consulted my sister who is a NP in an allergy specialists office. She confirmed that even though my baby is marketed as a dog to get if you have pet allergies, no animal is allergy free. M. could be on allergy medications but after 2 weeks he gets very bad headaches and he couldn't live on them (we were thinking positively that our new relationship would prosper). I spent three days deciding what to do. M. was on the fence and my Chelsea Belle almost won. I could not imagine giving her up. That dog always adored my mother. So much so, that when we would go there to visit, Chelsea Belle would sigh and roll her eyes when it was time for us to leave. The transition was very easy for them, I was a wreck for the first few weeks I was with M. in Malibu.



Chelsea Belle Posted by Hello




I had Chelsea for 8 years and now she is almost 12. Her nose is no longer black but everything else about her is just as beautiful as when she was 1 year old. We had so many routines. She loved to pull on my hair scrunchies when I first walked in the door. It was her way of greeting me, our little game. Now when I pack, I always make sure I have a scrunchie so that I can put it in my hair just before I walk in the door. Chelsea still does what she did when she lived with me. I know she knows me. She just doesn't miss me. I play little baby games with her - "round and round the garden, goes a teddy bear, one step......two steps........get her right there right there" as I tickle her belly and she begs for more. She still remembers her puppy school hand signals. I can't wait to see her.

What I miss about South Carolina:

:: Sweet Tea
:: Moss on the oak trees
:: Humidity
:: Grits
:: Fishing at the lake
:: Manners
:: Dressing up to go to the mall
:: Hash and Rice
:: Sunday dinner
:: Spending a day on the boat
:: Hearing shag music
:: Country Ham and Bacon
:: Family reunions
:: Thunder storms
:: State Fair

There are so many other things I miss. It is very different there. Women care about how they look. They would never leave the house in sweats and a t-shirt. Children are respectful. I still say "yes ma'am", "no ma'am", "yes sir", "no sir" to people older than me when I go back. The men are chivalrous and polite. The pace is slow and relaxed.

I am in 1 ww. I will count down the days. Then, after I am there for 10 days, I will think how much I miss California and all it has to offer.

My sisters will get a poncho. I found a better, easier pattern and it will fit them unlike the other one fit for the statue of liberty. I also have made two scarves so far. I have a sore spot on my right palm from my crochet hook. The yarn is magnificent - almost like angora.

I miss my family. I can't wait to see them. I can't wait to go home.
posted by Julianna · 11/12/2004

11 Comments:
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Ah sweet tea...you just took me back to my childhood and my mother's recipe for tea -- 2 gallons of tea and add equal amounts of sugar ;)

I'm such a yankee girl now -- tea with lemon only. It's amazing I didn't have my teeth rot out of my head from all that sugar.

Have fun with your family and the dog is adorable :)

xxxooo,
Emily
scrambledeggs  

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
At least one good thing that happened out of the craziness of the past week is that I found your blog! You could certainly use a nice vacation and your upcoming one sounds fantastic.

-AmyY  

At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Okay. I want that dog.

And another thing or two, what in the world is country ham, shag music? and hash? Sounds interesting. How is sweet tea different there?

Have a great trip.

April  

At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

At 5:37 PM, Blogger Kath said...
A very pretty puppy! (all dogs are puppies in my world).

I would love to taste grits. Its not available where I love so perhaps after your trip home you could expand on what its like to have a plate of grits enriched with butter or whatever.  

At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey. I'm really glad you decided to stay. I was fully prepared to miss you.

Have fun in SC. You are right--things are definitely different in the south. But CA has its charms too. Especially where you live.

Have a safe trip.  

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Soper said...
Ah, humidity. Folks don't understand about humidity -- that's why Southern women are so beautiful, people, WE'RE HYDRATED!

And I say "Yes ma'am" to twelve year olds. To everybody. In Miss'ippi, we got whooped if we didn't say "sir" or "ma'am," even if it was at school. Polite brainwashing, it is.

But I'll skip the ham. I don't dig on swine. But other than that, I'm right there with you.  

At 7:22 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Hi Everyone.

Such funny comments! Emily and her rotten teeth, Amy and her sweetness, Soper and her swine and beautiful skin, Chris and her kindness, Katie and Nina whom I love, Kath who I would love to send some yellow grits to, and April who has no idea what any of it means!

I actually miss so many foods. Collard greens, turnips, turnip greens, candied yams and macaroni pie (my Bigmama's way of making macaroni and cheese).

April, to answer some questions. I hope I can remember them because this stupid comment page doesn't show the other comments right now so I can't go back and read them.

Sweet tea is like Emily said - equal parts tea and sugar. NOooooooooooO LOL just kidding......but it is very sweet. You boil the tea and put in a lot of sugar while it is boiling. You cook the sugar into the water. Adding sugar at the table is shallow and unfulfilling compared to this kind of tea. Usually you put the sweet tea in a tupperware container in the fridge. Heaven forbid your refrigerator should not have sweet tea in it. All of the restaurants in the South have sweet tea. If you order tea there, you get iced sweet tea, never hot tea.

Country ham is salt cured ham in smoke houses. This was how they used to cure meat before refrigeration. The smoke houses have large pieces of meat hanging and it is covered in salt. The meat has such an amazing flavor. Some places still make country ham the old fashioned way : http://www.fouroaksfarm.com - I actually love watching their video before I place an order. I get that homesick.

Grits taste a bit like rice. Kind of like nothing. But man oh man, if you put pieces of country ham in the grits or fresh from the ocean shrimp.........oh my goodness gracious! I love yellow grits. Grits are made of corn and yellow corn is how you get yellow grits. Four Oaks Farm sells a great package of country ham, country bacon and yellow grits. My Yankee husband from Boston loves it when I make a country breakfast. At first he thought is was weird.

Shag music is not like the English version of "shagging". It is beach music and the shag is a dance that I used to watch couples do when I was young. I never was able to do the shag, but I love hearing shag music and watching people do the shag.

The humidity is amazing for the skin and hair. I so miss the thick air in the summer time. I love feeling it when I breath on a hot summer day.

Okay, I'm officially homesick. Have a good weekend everyone.  

At 4:45 AM, Blogger Sandy said...
Can I come too Julianna?? huh? Huh? puleeeze??? It sounds so peaceful. Enjoy every second of it.  

At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi Julianna,

My parents live in South Carolina and I LOVE IT. It's such a great place. I'm going there for Christmas, and I can't freakin wait. They live in the low country too--near Charleston--on Seabrook Island. Do you know it?

Have a good time, and your dog is soooooo freaking cute.

*smooch*
Karen/naked ovary  

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Hi Karen. Yes, I know Seabrook Island very well and Kiawah and....... oh you know.......Beaufort and Charleston and all of those magnificent islands on the coast. Do you have a sweetgrass basket yet? It is a MUST to get a sweetgrass basket. They are expensive as hell but they are amazing works of art. Have a great time at Christmas!  

Post a Comment  •  Home