Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Face To Face
I spoke with a psychologist once about relationships and meeting people in various ways. Here is what I learned:

During a certain period in my life I decided to let friends set me up on blind dates. After spending wonderful hours on the phone and getting very excited about Mr. SoPerfectForMe, I was always stunned with disappointment when I actually sat with the man in person on our date.

I was starting to question myself and my instincts. How could I be so interested and involved on the phone to only have it fizzle when I saw them. I never, ever had a good blind date. The worst part was telling friends why I didn't like their other wonderful friend who I was to have so much in common with.

This psychologist told me that when you meet someone face to face, you can't project what you want onto that person like you can on the telephone. Face to face, you pick up on body language, eye contact and gestures. On the phone, it is only speech tones and inclinations. I could project more wonderful qualities I wanted in a man on them when I was on the phone.

This psychologist even went on to say that people meeting on the internet are even further removed. You can project many more things onto the typed words of people online.

Projecting can be good or bad.

If I went to a website about how to be a good salesperson, I will probably project my dislike for pushy sales people onto any brilliant advise and it is doubtful that anyone on that website will say anything that makes me think highly of them.

On the other hand, if I went to a website about how to be a volunteer for let's say......Meals On Wheels, I'd be more impressed with what those people had to say only because I am already projecting good things onto the volunteers and project.

At first, going to infertility blogs, I really liked everybody. Even if they had drastically opposing views, I still really liked them in spite of differences in lifestyle or whatever. As you go through the process, you get attracted to some blogs more than others.

There are so many blogs and it is impossible to read all of them regularly. The natural progression is to go to the ones you are attracted to for whatever reasons. So, my projections on others, made me pick my "favorites list".

If I am face to face with someone and we are disagreeing, I am more apt to be more civil. If I am on the phone with someone, I am more apt to get a little bit more harsh and if I am upset online and typing, then it can be even more raw. I assume this is the same for just about everyone.

Personally, I only want to read infertility blogs, not religious or political blogs. Things change, people change, blogs change.

I think it is prudent of me to always remember the projections that I am extending and also the projections that I am receiving.

It is more prudent of me to remember that emotions are more volatile online. What can't be said in person is ranted easily here on the internet.


I don't have much to say about my infertility lately other than it is still here. I finally ovulated about 10 days late and timed intercourse and feel rather silly. I'm glad I am taking a break from IVF for a few months. I need to rest. I am tired.


posted by Julianna · 11/10/2004

15 Comments:
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Welcome Back. I have missed you. Here, have my seat and I'll massage your shoulders if you want.

April  

At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
YOU ARE SUCH A STUPID BITCH. I WILL LET YOU KNOW EVERY POST YOU POST THAT YOU ARE AN IGNORANT SELFISH RICH BITCH.  

At 2:20 AM, Blogger Jeangenie said...
There are times to struggle and times to sit back and recharge your batteries. Autumn is a time for winding down a bit. Relax. Recharge. Next year will be better.  

At 4:36 AM, Blogger Sandy said...
Hey Julianna: glad to see a post from you. Your observations are bang on ... it's much safer to let it spill on the 'net because we're separated by miles and space. I mean, we just have to look at the beautifully written prose of "Anonymous" up above here - I'm certain he/she would never have the guts to say something like that face to face, and so it's safe to sit in judgment and anger on the 'net. The other beauty of the 'net is that we can choose to ignore or (gasp) delete! Sometimes I wish I had that ability in real life!

So, glad to see you post again ... you are on my favourite list my friend. And you know what? Last time I checked my infertility was still here as well. Sucks eh?  

At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oooh, well done Anon, your spelling is improving - I half expected to see "rich" spelt "ritch"...

Jenny from t'other side of the pond  

At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
On Typepad we have a way to delete trolls and can even block them from trying to post. Does Blogger have that? If not, you might want to switch services.

Marla  

At 10:11 AM, Blogger Julianna said...
A little nourishment for the troll. I would normally let any and every comment stay on my blog. I can't exactly allow for comments and then edit the ones I don't like. However, the new angry troll is beyond ridiculous and is destructive to the Zen going on over here.

Does anyone with blogger know how to delete comments? I used to have a little trash can icon next to each comment but I don't anymore. There is just a little note pad looking thing beside each comment.


A personal note to anonymous. A little intervention can be a good thing. Perhaps you should look into it. It appears that you are wasting a lot of very precious energy hating me. It makes me pity you really. How are YOU face to face? I imagine you to be either a. very passive and this is your way to explode or b. you are a criminal. For the record, I have an IQ of 156. The ONLY great thing about knowing the results of a recorded and re-tested IQ exam is that since then, when people have told me I am stupid, I giggle to myself. It actually humors me. The reason I was re-tested was because my parents thought there must be an error. Out of their 3 daughters, I was clearly the least intelligent one. I don't look smart, I don't act smart and ohhhhhh my goodness gracious......if you could hear me laugh........you would surely call me an idiot. I have one of those deep belly laughs that is loud and contagious when I get tickled about something. What do people say about your laugh? When is the last time you laughed? Life is precious and short. Carpe Diem.  

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Julianna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Julianna said...
Thank you. I figured it out. You have to go to post a comment and then after posting you can see the icons. I swear I used to see the icons just reading the comments but I don't anymore. Perhaps blogger is messed up.  

At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Dont worry about that tosser. Your problem is real and probably wont settle down until you are in your 40s (like my M). Please keep blogging. You'll be OK. My kids are 17 and 21, I looked after them for 16 years without their mother. I dont think I'd want it different but it is such hard work!  

At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Stupid troll! Absolutly deserves to be deleted, ESPECIALLY if they don't have the guts to post any info about themselves. Hope the rest is helping.
-Abby (abfausto@hotmail.com)  

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Such a great post about the distance the internet offers in interpersonal relationships. This is not really real. I may really hate the people I read about every day with such affection. Thank you for being vulnerable. Hey, I even voted for Kerry but I don't hate the Bush voters like so many women here. I am embarrassed how many Kerry voters reacted to the election. I don't agree with your politics but you don't have a political blog so it doesn't matter. BTW, I'm glad you inacted your delete button. Long overdue!!

Jacqueline  

At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Such a great post about the distance the internet offers in interpersonal relationships. This is not really real. I may really hate the people I read about every day with such affection. Thank you for being vulnerable. Hey, I even voted for Kerry but I don't hate the Bush voters like so many women here. I am embarrassed how many Kerry voters reacted to the election. I don't agree with your politics but you don't have a political blog so it doesn't matter. BTW, I'm glad you inacted your delete button. Long overdue!!

Jacqueline  

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Kristin said...
Julianna...I'm so glad you decided to come back and post. I'd hate to see someone I identify with so strongly disappear from the blogrolls. The vituperative nature of the comments posted after the election has stunned me.  

Post a Comment  •  Home