Friday, December 17, 2004
A Love Letter
After my first failed IVF, I found myself heart-smashed at a depth I had never experienced in my life. I just couldn't get myself up. I never considered that IVF may not work.

All of our tests were perfect and I kept telling myself "there is no reason it won't work". I was even so arrogant that I told anyone I came in contact with about my pending pregnancy.

When you finally make the decision to take it to the nuclear level, you can't consider the negatives, or at least I couldn't. I knew that IVF is what I needed and I was excited.

Take the excitement up in a hot air ballon and then crash that motherfucker as fast and hard as you can - that was me. In crumbled bits and confused.

I couldn't move and breathing was a bonus the first few days, I was completely paralyzed and after day 3 I finally got online to research "failed IVF", "rescue ICSI", "8 celled embryos", "PGD success rates", "percentage of people fucked up forever because of trying IVF"......etc. etc. etc...


I use an awesome search engine called "Copernic" (google is only a small part of the search engines so you get immeasurable answers to your queries).

The words chez and miscarriage kept coming up in my searches.


"That is so not funny" I thought.

"Who in the world is making light of miscarriages".

"What in the hell kind of meta tags does this person have to keep appearing in my painful searches".

"Okay, so very not funny, what in the hell is so chez about miscarriage".

I finally clicked on the link, reluctantly. I did not want to read about some ass making light of women having miscarriages.


This was in August of this year, I had never heard of blogs and actually was pronouncing it "blogue". I was lying on my sofa and started laughing. It took me a while to figure out that to read at the beginning, you have to go to the end, so I went to her beginning and started reading.

One of the funniest things ever posted in the blog world is here.

I spent the better part of an afternoon reading her story and for the first time, I felt lighter, I could see myself moving on and I got the strength to stand up on my own two feet and I even managed a smile.


I didn't understand the blog logistics, I was just reading her diary. Having no idea that she was getting tons of emails, I wrote to her. Probably more like, I sobbed to her. She wrote me back immediately and said something to the effect "I know where you are, stay there as long as you need and when you are ready, there will be people here to help you get up".


Most of you who read here already know getupgrrl but for those of you who don't, she is a brilliant writer and an amazing woman who has been undergoing fertility treatments for years and she has been through hell and back.


She is going through hell again at the moment. After finding out that due to DES, she has a t-shaped uterus that was never able to take a baby to term. All of her IVF's and pregnancies were doomed for failure, she has just completed an IVF cycle with a surrogate. Grrl's eggs (great response) and her husband's sperm (what a trouper!) produced excellent blastocysts which even passed the rigorous PGD screening and two beautiful blasts were placed in her gestational surrogate (Sarah) who promptly became pregnant with twins. That was several weeks ago.

Now, Sarah is bleeding. Things are scary.

I could hardly handle my own selfish little baby drama so I am not capable of understanding the depths of anxiety after taking it to that kind of nuclear level. They have been through so much, everything couldn't have been better this time, they need intervention.

I believe in prayers and anyone who is willing, if you could send a little wish or hope or prayer for grrl and her family, they need it right now.

It is not up to us to decide who gets what in life, and life is not fair sometimes but sometimes life is wonderful and miracles can and do happen every day.


Praying for your miracle grrl.



posted by Julianna · 12/17/2004

12 Comments:
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
That's really beautiful. I'm sure there are tons of people out there that feel exactly the same way. Thanks for such a lovely post.
-beaver girl  

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Jeangenie said...
Good thoughts going to all people trying, hoping, praying so desperately to bring life to the world.  

At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
She is a very funny lady indeed and you are one sweet lady for telling us about her. I look forward to reading her "book" and I'll keep her family in my prayers as well as yours.  

At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Amen to that. I've written Grrl a few times and she always answers back and is so supportive. She is an amazing woman and keeping my blog, inspired by her, has been the saving grace of my sanity.

Many, many prayers for her and Sarah.

For us all...

xxoo,
Emily  

At 5:42 PM, Blogger Soper said...
Karen talked a while back about wanting a pocket version of grrl to keep and pull out whenever people were ugly -- I so wish I had one sometimes....  

At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
grrl is awesome and so are you. Thank you for telling us about her. I found you by clicking "next" one day on blogspot, that was when you were doing your shots and I fell in love with you then. I always look forward to your posts. Thank you for blogging about this. I'll pray for grrl too.

April  

At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh, God, thank you for this. Thank you for everything. Thank you for hoping.

getupgrrl  

At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm praying for her and for all of our sisters in the infertility blogosphere. Thank you so much for putting it so eloquently. We're hoping and praying that Sarah stops bleeding and that those wonderful little embies get a chance.

Jen jenbuster@gmail.com  

At 11:26 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Amen to that, Julianna!  

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
P.S. I have been a faithful reader of Chez Miz (as I call it to, you know, sound cool) for almost a year now and while I have never emailed or learned anything more personal about grrl than what is in her blog, I have a theory about her.

No one that talented and amazing could go unnoticed in the world. Therefore, she has to be some famous author or columnist who must, for the sake of her privacy, go incognito in the blog world. Who knows? We could be reading entries written by a woman whose writings one would usually have to pay for.

And as such a talented writer, poor grrl would cringe at the idea of me ending my previous sentence with a preposition. I admit it, I am not worthy!  

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Julianna said...
A dangling preposition! eeegaads  

At 8:24 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
The evening of December 20 and grrl posted good news. Very happy for her and her twins. How many more months to go?  

Post a Comment  •  Home