Sunday, December 19, 2004
That Baby In The Window
Unfortunately, I answered the phone today, around noon.

"Julianna?"

"yes"

"Hi, this is Kathy and I was given your phone number from the Chamber Of Commerce and I was told that you may be able to help me. I know a family who is in dire need this Christmas season. I have a neighbor with nine children, aged 11 years to 6 months. The children have different fathers and the mother is not able to get by on her own, they are on food stamps and extremely poor. The mother is currently 5 months pregnant with her tenth child and is not able to provide for her children. I was told that you may be interested in adopting one of the children."

"The baby?"

"Whichever one you want. I need people to adopt each child, so whichever one you want."

"Well, I need to speak with my husband, this is rather sudden, I am speechless."

"Ohhhhhhh, no.......I don't mean adopt adopt, I mean adopt as in giving presents for Christmas to whichever child you choose."

"oooooooooohhhhhhhhh, of course."



posted by Julianna · 12/19/2004

15 Comments:
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Soper said...
Made. My. Day.

Can I just tell you that is EXACTLY what my reaction would have been, too? OMIGOD, Chamber of Commerce, OF COURSE they would be handing out babies! To me! Randomly!

Love you, can't stop laughing....  

At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
OMG! At first my heart stopped, then I got it. They only wanted money for the children, not to give the baby away.......it sounds like the baby would have been better served being in your home for Christmas than with their loser mother. I was so hopeful that the mother was coming to her senses and was even offering her pregnancy to a deserving family. WTF! Doesn't make sense that someone like that has babies odd infinite item. What a shitty phone call to get at this time of year. Did you really give them money? I don't think I would have been so generous.

April  

At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
What a comedy of errors! If Kathy had only known what you had been going through! oh my. I wouldn't have had the heart to donate to that family, good for you for rising above it all.  

At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
oops, sorry, didn't mean to sign anonymously.


this is Jacqueline  

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Cricket said...
Julianna,
You can have the littlest baby. I'll take the next one up, plus I'll take another toward the upper end to give my son a little extra insurance in the neighborhood.

Gosh, I want to move there. They don't give out babies here; they just look all prissy and holier than thou as they nobly 'help' them.  

At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yes

the dreamland for inferitiles


anonymous phone calls from family members of uber fertiles. too many children to care for.


Please help with my obscene family.

Will you kindly take a baby or two away from me?

PLEASE?????????

I need to rid my home of babies.

Too many to count.


GodLovesIgnorance  

At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
That was really too funny. I wish they would give one of those babies to you. You'd take better care of it than the mom. Ten babies? What the fuck, indeed.

Hang in there honey.  

At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh, my. I would have thought the same thing. How sad for number 10.

Marla
Middle Way  

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Oh my God! I am as gullible as you are! I got all tingly reading the first part of the post and then finished it and laughed my guts out! Then got kind of pissed off. Funny how such a short post can run through such a range of emotions.

How's about you "adopt" the mom and the dad and give them a lovely basket of condoms and birth control pills tied with a big, festive bow on top?  

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Julianna said...
I love you girls! Your suggestions are hilarious and Barroness! - your SIL and BIL story pisses me off - how do deal with that? "The gift that keeps on giving" is right.

Honestly, I was torn yesterday. After the shock of the phone call wore off (We're going to get a baby! God does perform miracles! .........or not) and then I was feeling a bit guilty about not helping.

My husband was pissed that the COC would give someone our number (I do some volunteer work and go to chamber meetings) but that does not mean I want to be on a list for the needy. I need to check that out.

My DH also said before I could get the last sentence out "I hope you told her to go fuck herself" and I said I am still thinking about it.

He said a lot of other non pc things about how we are all supporting her with food stamps and welfare and rewarding that type of behavior is not something we should be doing. Why don't I go to the hospital and give toys to sick children instead of a loser of society like this woman and it also bugged him that the mother is probably going to be the hero to the children this year as she is bringing the presents into all of her children Christmas morning.

Somehow it would make a difference if the children see where the presents are really coming from, not their mother!

The mother is not married and the children do not have the same father. How can you have a 6 month old baby and already be pregnant with a tenth child?

The older I get, the pickier I am about who I want to help. My sister who is a single mom is my first priority. She struggles sometimes and tries very hard. So, I'd rather give presents to my nephew than some stranger but......

it is about the children.

It is very important to me how the presents are distributed, if the mother is doling them out, that does not send the correct message.

Perhaps one of the ten will make something of their lives in spite of their mother.

I am thinking of getting some books, there are 6 year old twin girls so perhaps I will "adopt" them.

I also hope I have the nerve to tell Kathy at the COC that I don't want to reward mothers like that and that I struggled with deciding whether I wanted to participate. She was WAY to perky on the phone for the seriousness of the situation. I also want to mention that I have been desperately trying to have ONE child, so stories like this tend to piss me off more than they make my heart sink.

Who knows, maybe Kathy will go to the mother and tell her that one of the volunteers desperately wants a child and perhaps the mother will say I can have one of hers...........


or not.  

At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Okay I know this is was not supposed to be a funny post but it made me laugh out loud. I totally understood how you could have thought she meant adopt adopt. I mean HELLLOOOO be more specific! There is adopt adopt and Christmas adopt...which one is it. Really it should be part of her opening line. Anyways, I will keep praying for a fanatsic new year for you and yours.....  

At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Ten children! Are you kidding? You were a better person than I would have been, I would have hung up on her ass. The gift that keeps on giving is right. Gift this!  

At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Well, the thing is this: children can't choose their parents(s). That 10th child has no control over the circumstances in which he or she will be born into. Sadly, it is a birth lottery.

I think giving books directly to the children is a wonderful idea. Keep in mind that although they should be emergent readers, they probably are not. Any books with rhyming words would be very helpful towards gaining phonemic awareness and decoding. Don't be surprised if the children are not thriled with the books. A lot kids that are not exposed to print and the love of reading have resistence to books.

Marla
Middle Way  

At 9:47 AM, Blogger E. said...
Ugh -- I was so excited for you, until I got to the end of the post! Poor little kids. Poor you for having to field that call.  

At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'll bet the woman at the other end of the phone asks that question differently next time ;)

Ah, what a cherry on top of a crappy year kind call that was. Sorry about that.

Thinking of you.

xxoo,
Emily  

Post a Comment  •  Home