Sunday, December 26, 2004
I'm A Bloggin' Fool
I don't know, I just want to write a lot in my journal. I tend to mull things over here and come out purged by the time I click "publish post". I wonder if I would feel as purged if I never clicked the button? Something about putting it all out there in all of its glory makes the difference - different than keeping it in the closet.

Sometimes I look at my sitemeter and find it curious why some people find me. There are several boards who come here sometimes and I can tell by the meter run that they must have been discussing me. I go there then and read what they say. It completely touches my heart sometimes that anonymous strangers can be so sweet. One board was discussing my 2nd IVF and as they followed along, they all wished me well to each other and then all agreed they didn't have a good feeling about it working. Ends up they were right. I hated reading that the day before I had my beta, I was eavesdropping on a private discussion about how hopeless I am to others and it makes me wonder how obvious it is that I should give it up. Even now, I still have hope for myself. Anyway, I am rambling, but one discussion board was discussing how they thought I was crazy. Now, THAT was interesting to read about. There was one woman who understood me, she gets me but the others clearly didn't. I found it very amusing that I could appear so crazy that a discussion board could have a hay day debating about it.

I am of the firm belief that everyone is crazy to some degree. Everyone is insecure to some degree. Everyone is scared to some degree. It is the degrees of separation that make the difference in compatibilities (says Dr. Julianna).

So anyway, now I find myself wondering how honestly I want to reveal my core and should I? As crazy as I have ever been or felt in my life, I was blessed with a therapist who validated my feelings and made me feel normal and I realized that everyone is a bit off balance sometimes and that is okay and normal.

I spent the first half of my life being unsure, insecure, and scared. It is so powerful to have some chutzpah. I am still a pussy underneath and I am entirely too sensitive. I still work on toughening up my tender heart.

I will never finish working on me.

I will never "get it".

I will never completely be free.



Yesterday, I found myself being more insecure than usual. I could get to the core and peel the layers but suffice is to say, we were spending Christmas day with someone else's family. My husband loves to help out on weekends at the winery so he is completely comfortable with the group and surroundings up there. I have never spent such a personal holiday with someone else's family. In a way, M. and I were the needy being adopted this holiday season. They knew we were here without family and insisted on us coming up to the winery. I think that is it.......I just realized......ironic that it actually ended up being us who were the needy at Christmas.

The first hour at the winery was awkward for me. The women were in the kitchen and the men were outside cooking the meat on the massive cooker/barbecue.

I try to lay low when I am feeling out of sorts.

I noticed tiny things, like all the women pulled their hair back when they were in the kitchen, I had no scrunchie or barrette so even something as tiny as that made me uncomfortable. I was just not comfortable in my skin there.

I knew everyone, but I still had meaningless conversations for the first hour or two. I wanted to be outside with the men where I could let my hair down (literally and figuratively). Then something happened, one woman and then another started peeling the onion of themselves back more and I noticed how much more comfortable I was. It is in sharing the craziness in each other that bonds us sometimes. The more they really talked and made themselves vulnerable, the more comfortable I became.

We had a lovely afternoon and evening and I have new found friends, true friends.

I got to know their "ick" and they got to know some of mine.

The ick that binds.


posted by Julianna · 12/26/2004

16 Comments:
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
It has been nice reading about your ick. It is true that the more layers that are revealed, the more we all have in common.

April  

At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Julianna, you are practically famous, honey! I need to get a sitecounter to see if people are discussing my woes elsewhere. Maybe on mykidsalittlenaughty.com?

For the record, I don't think you're crazy.

Glad you ended up having a nice holiday. Need a food report here though. I love vicarious food thrills. I bet it was fantastic.

Take care.  

At 2:24 PM, Blogger Sandy said...
The ick that binds...I love it! And honey, I'd use not being able to pull my hair back as an excuse to stay out of a kitchen any old day! I have a site meter but have to confess that I don't have a clue how to track where people are from, or how to track google searches to my site etc. Not a clue. Although now I'm curious! Glad you feel purged. Blogging is kinda cathartic isn't it?  

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Hello ladies.

April, do you have a blog?

Chris and Sandy, sitemeter is free and even I set it up easily. Reading it is another matter. Sometimes if you click "referrals" you see how they came to your site. There are several discussion boards that suddenly show themselves and I simply copy and paste that url and you can see why they are suddenly there. It is interesting in that they don't leave comments here, I just see their traffic. Sometimes, you don't want to know what they are saying!!!! I witnessed an adoption board slamming me because I posted in a quick manner why I choose not to adopt, there are several other discussion boards that just appear to be people at work posting throughout the day - I actually was going to comment once, when they were debating my sanity, I thought it would be hilarious to suddenly jump into their conversation but the website was for members only and when I tried to register, it wouldn't let me for some damn reason and by that time, the thrill was gone. The www is a huge place and you'd be surprised at the number of people who lurk. I actually wish they introduced themselves. I would like getting to know who knows me.

Chris, some recipe's for your viewing pleasure:

Italian green beans
1/2 stick of butter in frying pan, brown and cut up one onion until transparent, add mushrooms (they used canned) until browning and sizzling, add italian green beans (they used frozen straight from the freezer) and then add about a cup of bread crumbs (they used from a cannister) then just stir and cover. They were delicious! I never witnessed her adding salt or pepper. They were really yummy.

Canelli? Calini? (I just remember it sounded a bit like cannoli) - it is a vegetable that looks like celery but I think may be the stim of an artichoke or something like that?? It was placed in a pancake batter but spicier (I assume they added salt and pepper and italian seasonings to the pancake batter) - it was sweet but spicy.........anyway.....add olive oil in a frying pan and fry the little suckers and turn and place on paper towels to drain. They are best fresh out of the pan, the longer they sit, they can get soggy and not be as crispy. They were a huge hit with everyone. If anyone knows what the vegetable really is, I would love to know.

They actually roasted chestnuts on an open fire! That was fun. I had never had a chestnut before. Apparently they were cleaned before being placed on the open fire and they took about an hour to cook, they said it would be about 4 hours in a regular oven at 200 degrees. They were meaty and sweet, interesting.

Other items served were...

Lamb chops had been marinating in red wine for 2 days and the large barbecue pit like thing (smoker?) would lower and raise. I saw them raise the meat up and dust it regularly with rosemary branches. They have a lot of wild rosemary around here, especially at wineries so they cook with it alot. I have even seen them skewer tender pieces of meat with a twig of rosemary and cook it like that and you eat it like you would a shish kabob.

There was tons of food and it was delicious and it ended up being a lot of fun.  

At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I get it...I really do.

xxoo,
Emily  

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Kath said...
If I ever get discussed anywhere I hope the subject wont be "What if we end up like kath at http ...myblog.."

I don't know where my ick will come from then.  

At 10:25 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Julianna-
I get it too. In fact, so many of the things in the previous post could have been written by me. I told my family that my extra 10 (OK 15!!) lbs this year were from all the fertility drugs from my two IVFs, even though, in fact, all the cookies and wine during my cycles and after the failures didn't exactly help things.

Your day sounds rather nice, after the initial barriers were broken down, that is. What a wonderful place to be on Christmas, a winery! (Where I live in CA, I can really relate to the wineries, and to having rosemary and lavender in the garden while grilling outside on Christmas Day).

Here's to a new year, a new cycle, and a fresh start, weirdnesses, ick, and wonderful husbands in tow.  

At 11:17 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
amyesq!!!!!!!!

why don't you start a blog??????????? PLEASE!

You and Anna H. are so beloved in this blog community and neither of you have a blog of your own!



PLEASE!!!! think of starting a blog.  

At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm swooning. Soulds like great food. And I must admit to being very curious about the green beans. Thanks.  

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Cricket said...
I'm so glad you survived Xmas. Sounds like you prospered, even.

I understand not really feeling an outwardly spiritual and decorative Xmas mood (remember: I just got out that one snow globe), but it finally occurred to me on Xmas Eve that the Xmas spirit (meaning: a little peace and cheer for one's place in life) could actually be felt apart from the rest of the holiday crap. I did feel a measure of it on Xmas Eve and a dab of it on Xmas Day.

Sometimes it comes from unexpected places. You experienced a chick's version of the movie, "Sideways" I think!  

At 9:45 AM, Blogger E. said...
I always think the craziest people are the ones who insist that they're completely sane.

I'm glad your holiday turned out well.  

At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
The vegetable you're describing is cardoons - I've never eaten them but seen them grown in France - like a very long artichoke plant - sounds yummy  

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Hi Anonymous!! Thank you!!! I just did a search and found so much info on that lovely little plant/vegetable.

First of all, I had to wonder how much wine I had because I could have sworn they were calling it something like "canoli" and I found a reference - I wish links worked in the comments section - but anyway, this link: http://www.rain.org/greennet/docs/exoticveggies/html/cardoon.htm

says it is called "cardoni" in Italy......good......I wasn't more tipsy than I thought!

Here is more info:
http://the-vegetable-site.com/VEGGIES/cardoon.shtml

http://web.ask.com/searchcp?q=cardoon&t=cardoon&cache=00*s3mvwlcwz21y&url=http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/artic068.html&page=&ws=1


http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/01600689.html

How sad am I that I am so excited about finding a new vegetable! Thank you anonymous for helping me on my search.

It looks like it can have a bitter flavor so that is probably why they had it in a pancake batter to add sweetness.

It was the most popular of all the foods there. The hostess said she got it at the grocery store and it was pretty easy to find.........I think I'll look for it next time I go shopping.  

At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Julianna,

I can't tell you how much we have in common. For a moment I thought I had stumbled on something I wrote myself. When you figure it all out please tell me the secret!!! You are smart and gifted and I pray only good things will happen for you in the new year!!!

Dani  

At 7:42 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Aww you and Oro are so sweet. The truth is that I fear I don't have enough interesting to say to maintain a blog, although I enjoy reading yours. Clearly, however, I am too much of a loudmouth to merely lurk. I will have to think about a blog... in the meantime, keep up your great entries!  

At 10:16 AM, Blogger Miss X said...
Yes. We are all crazy to some degree. So very, very true.
I love reading about your ick. The ick that binds us all.  

Post a Comment  •  Home