Sunday, January 09, 2005
A Dollar A Comment Or More
The recent events have stuck with me. It brings back memories. Memories of a devastating earthquake when I lived in Santa Monica.

I had just bought my first condominium near the Brentwood area of Santa Monica. I was just off of Montana Avenue, a few blocks from the beach. I was single, had worked many years as a dental hygienist and was also a struggling actress. I was so excited that I was finally a homeowner.

I bought my condominium in December of 1993, one month before the "Northridge Earthquake".

It was just after the new year in 1994. It was a little past four in the morning and I remember my little dog Chelsea Belle waking me up. She always slept in my bed with me and I just remember her being very needy and waking me up and then a mere seconds later.....

I felt what a train coming would feel like........but I was not near any train tracks....

I heard a rumbling in the distance and knew something was wrong.

It was only seconds, from when my dog woke me to feeling to hearing and then I only remember holding my dog in my arms as I bounced high in the air and landed back in my bed and all I heard was glass crashing and furniture crumbling.

I immediately thought that I needed to get out of my condo. I felt very vulnerable. I think the first aftershock was within a few minutes.

I knew something devastating had just happened.

I had my dog, still in my left arm, close to my chest, and I proceeded to try to exit my condominium. I started to walk and then soon realized that my feet were being cut with glass so I needed to crawl. I remember thinking that it was better if my knees and calves got cut than the bottom of my feet.

I finally made it from my bedroom to my living room and it was so dark. Pitch black dark. I was on my hands and knees with my sweet Chelsea in the crook of my left arm and I was trying to feel my way out.

The things that blocked me, I could not make out. I was feeling furniture pieces in the dark while I was in the living room and I did not realize that some of the broken pieces actually came from my dining room.

My feet were hurting me and now, my knees were starting to get cut also.

It was so dark.

So completely black.

My eyes were opened but they might as well have been closed.

I was trying to crawl to where I thought my front door would be.

I heard my neighbor (Dan) right outside my door. He was yelling for me.

I was yelling back.........

"Please come get me!!! I can't get out!!!"

He told me that my door was bolted shut and he couldn't get me........he said I needed to keep trying..........I needed to get to the door.

It seemed like forever.

I felt wood and glass and debris in the darkness and couldn't figure out where I was. Nothing made sense.

I kept heading to where my door should be.

I kept heading for Dan's voice.

Finally, I felt the door handle, and I unbolted my door.

I was exhausted and crying and collapsed in his arms. He took me to the street, away from buildings and we heard so many explosions. I think it was gas tanks exploding.

We sat outside with everyone else for a few hours until the sun finally came up.

Chelsea was shaking in my arms. She was incredibly nervous.

There was after-shock after after-shock.

It is very hard to talk about.....still.

I actually got classic symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder. I came so close to dying.

The "Northridge" earthquake was actually a "rolling" earthquake that jumped up and down the earth's service and my neighborhood happened to be a bump in the journey.

Many homes were "red-tagged" - meaning condemned and absolutely no entrance was allowed ..... or buildings were "yellow-tagged" - meaning restricted entry but still dangerous.

My building was yellow-tagged.

I remember being told that I needed to go to FEMA in Santa Monica on 4th street. I went there, with my dog still in my arms (she shook for weeks), and I was completely taken aback by what this country has to offer when one is faced with such a disaster.

FEMA got all of my information, sent out an inspector and helped me re-build.

So many people complained "I only got $25.00 for my television from FEMA!" and I only thought about how much FEMA added up for all of my destroyed goods and how amazing it was that they helped me so much. FEMA gave me over $9,000.00 for my personal disaster. Granted, it ended up costing me over $150,000 (I had not yet bought insurance for my condo thinking I would get it in due time) but the FEMA money helped me tremendously and I was so grateful.

SBA (Small Business Administration) also gave loans up to $10,000.00 for people who were affected by the disaster and I gladly took them up on it. I still pay $44.00 per month for that loan. It was only 3.5% interest and was a huge help.

This government did not owe me anything. I was so completely humbled by the generosity of those around me.

I remember waiting in the FEMA line and Red Cross volunteers were handing out peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and bottled water. I sat with my dog in my arms and cried while I ate that sandwich.

I could not believe my life had come to this.

A Red Cross and government hand-out after going so far.

This is a long story, but one I needed to tell.

I love this country and everything it has given to me. I am so completely grateful of the handouts of others in my time of need.


I would like to donate money to UNICEF. That is what touches my heart right now - the children in SE Asia after the tsunami.

Over 1/3 of those killed in the tsunami were children and over 100,000 children are left homeless.

Tens of thousands of children are orphans now - tens of thousands!

I will donate one dollar for every comment in the next 48 hours (if getupgrrl links me, I may need to borrow from my husband!), all you have to do is comment - I don't care if you just type "donate".

May God Bless all those hurting.

posted by Julianna · 1/09/2005

47 Comments:
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
"donate"  

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Cricket said...
Like ya need more debt...  

At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am so sorry for your loss. I am de-lurking and want you to know that I will also donate to UNICEF, thanks to your link. May God bless you and your family.  

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
What an awful thing to have to go through! (Hopefully nobody told you to "just relax" during it, though).

I have been reading your blog for a couple of months and I think you are a fine writer (and generous to boot!).  

At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
You have to trust me I guess, that your story touched a nerve with me, and I too will match your donation. UNICEF is doing an amazing job with the orphaned children and your donation will directly impact them.

I will match whatever you donate.

I am sending you an email to confirm my promise. Let me know what the tally becomes. I will personally match your donation.

April  

At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I was there for the big earthquake in LA too. 'Funny' story. The night before it happened, I remember sitting around with some friends around the table asking them what an earthquake feels like because I was still new to LA and didn't know if I'd realize it was happening. That night of course, we had a doozy. My friend calls the next day and says, "Well, did you know that was an earthquake or not?" It was really scary. I remember it happened so fast that I didn't have time to react and just sat up in bed like an idiot, too afraid to move. It felt like the building wasn't going to be happy until it was around my ears. Fortunately, I was in Beverly Hills adjacent (near the Beverly Center) and there wasn't too much damage. The Beverly Center had a big piece of the parking lot fall from the top to the ground and that made a huge mess. I was so glad no one was up when that happened because it would have been awful. We were lucky, we had power and water and no damage whatsoever. Earthquakes are scary though and I still live in a state that gets them.

That's nice of you donating. The Red Cross is where we donated.

Thinking of you.

xxoo,
Emily  

At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wow! I am crying reading your story. I cannot imagine feeling that fear. I may donate to UNICEF or Red Cross now, it could be me that gets destroyed by a natural disaster. I hope you are well. Thank you for sharing.  

At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
For your little Chelsea Belle.  

At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
oh my God! That is so disturbing.

Here is my comment that is worth a dollar.

You are being very generous.

"Like you need more debt" is right!  

At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
i am so sorry  

At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am so sorry for your loss.  

At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
"donate"  

At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I, too, was in Southern California in 1994 and it was frightening. I lived in Santa Barbara and was devastated, I could not imagine those of you in the Los Angeles area.............I remember thinking that so many thousands of thousands of people must be dead right now........it was life changing.

I feel guilty that this comment is costing you a dollar, and I feel like donating on my own right now.

I am not making any promises, but I am thinking of donating money also.

I don't like UNICEF as much as the Red Cross. I think I may give to the Red Cross.

Love and Kisses,
Yvonne  

At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I, too, was in Southern California in 1994 and it was frightening. I lived in Santa Barbara and was devastated, I could not imagine those of you in the Los Angeles area.............I remember thinking that so many thousands of thousands of people must be dead right now........it was life changing.

I feel guilty that this comment is costing you a dollar, and I feel like donating on my own right now.

I am not making any promises, but I am thinking of donating money also.

I don't like UNICEF as much as the Red Cross. I think I may give to the Red Cross.

Love and Kisses,
Yvonne  

At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Well as a new resident of Los Angeles you have inspired me to go right now and finally order that renters insurance I have been meaning to get for the last 8 months. Honestly I think I have been in denial since moving here.

Thanks for sharing and for donating.  

At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
donate  

At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
donate  

At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
donate  

At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
donate  

At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wow! I am crying right now.


"Before the Grace of God, Go I"

I will match your donation also, de-lurking to let you know that I appreciate all you have done.

Please note my email: "janelle@yahoo.com"

I will match your contributions.

I am so destraught by your story, I will help all that I can.  

At 1:12 AM, Blogger ankaisa said...
Wow, sounds awful. I'm just so lucky that there are no earthquakes in this country. I would be happy if I never had to experience one.

And I'm sad for the children, too. There are several orphans in my country because of the events, and I'd really like to find a way to do something for them.  

At 3:53 AM, Blogger Stacy said...
Donate!  

At 6:04 AM, Blogger Dee said...
I hear you about being grateful for assistance when you need it. A and I were ourselves the lucky recipients of FEMA assistance after Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne last summer. We also got an SBA loan with a phenomenal interest rate and that helped too (our insurance covered a good portion of our loss but not all). It's a shame that those affected by the tsunami don't have similar government resources to help them (or if they do, it seems like mass chaos right now in doling them out).  

At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wow. Glad you made it out okay.

donate donate donate.

Now I must go back to cleaning my house.

DOnate.  

At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Beaver Girl says...
thanks for sharing your memories with us.  

At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I was in SF for the Bay Area quake in 91. I will never forget the collapsed freeway and the chaos of the days following. The current tragedy breaks my heart. I too will be donating. Thanks for sharing your story. It could happen to anyone, anywhere.

Meanwhile... will be thinking of you and praying for you the next two weeks...  

At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Bless you. Donate  

At 7:23 AM, Blogger VHMPrincess said...
Thank you for sharing and donating.  

At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
You are so generous!  

At 8:20 AM, Blogger sweetisu said...
Thank you for your kindness toward fellow human beings. We need more people like you.

My heart has been aching for the victims. I have friends who lost many neighbors and their children (from Sweden), I have coworkers who lost friends (Sri Lanka), and I have college friends who lost their entire province (Indonesia)... They will need help for many many years to come, as the entire infrastructure is completely destroyed.

sweetisu
http://sweetisu.blogspot.com  

At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Delurking to say, yes, please donate!

From Beth in Michigan  

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Sandy said...
You are an amazing woman. I am always in awe of your strength, and love that we've met through the blogging community.  

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Lori said...
I hate earthquakes. That must have been terrifying, especially since you were thousands of miles from your family on the east coast. I've been fortunate that although I lived in LA, I missed the big quakes. I moved there after Whittier and left before Northridge. Living here in the bay area I've felt a few small quakes. The house is bolted to the foundation and we have earthquake supplies in a shed on the side of the house. I'm 'ready' but one can never be ready for disaster.

I have also been really struck by the devastation in Asia and dontated to UNICEF and Red Cross.

Thank you for donating $1 for this comment!  

At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thank you for writing about this. And thank you for donating!
-Abby (abfausto@hotmail.com)  

At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
what a generous offer. Thanks for the reminder that those of us who can help, should help.  

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Amyesq said...
You are one fantastic lady.

Ten years later, my law firm is STILL litigating those Northridge cases. So many people affected. What an amazing story.

Any one of us could go from cozy in bed to shivering, eating a FEMA peanut butter and jelly sandwich in no time at all. Thank you for reminding my to count my blessings today.  

At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Amazingly touching story, brought tears to my eyes.
thisgirl  

At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
wonderful story.
donate  

At 12:50 PM, Blogger E. said...
I can't imagine how terrified you must have been. Thank you for this wonderful, generous idea.  

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Mare said...
What a lovely, generous thought. You have a good heart, Julianna.  

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Donate!

-bunny  

At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Just commenting again, Miss Fancy Pants.

Hope you are doing well.  

At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Good for you! We donated our budgeted eating out money for the month. It goes to show how blessed we've been when by day 11 of the month I find myself missing a sushi outing. A lot.

Liz  

At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I admire your frank and from-the-gut writing style. As well as your generosity. What a great donation pledge!  

At 6:43 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Okee dokey, the 48 hours are up, I think that each of you wonderful people are worth $10.00 a comment so I am sending UNICEF $500.00 - for the two of you who said you would match my contribution, the total was 53 at deadline time.

If you live in earthquake country, keep shoes (slippers) under your bed at all times. If I had done that, my exit would have been much easier.

Still thinking of those people in SE Asia.

Thank you for helping.  

At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Came here searching for loan personal uk cause i need a loan personal uk

Best ive found so far is

loan personal uk

Nice blog on loans in the UK good for loan personal uk  

At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Came here searching for home loan mortgage uk cause i need a home loan mortgage uk

Best ive found so far is

home loan mortgage uk

Nice blog on loans in the UK good for home loan mortgage uk  

Post a Comment  •  Home