Monday, January 17, 2005
Roe v. McCorvey
Norma McCorvey (aka: Jane Roe) was just on television discussing how she is going to file a petition tomorrow to vacate her previous claims more than 32 years ago in Roe v. Wade.

I have known for a while that she has had a change of heart about abortion, but now, she is actively trying to overturn the ruling. She is the only one who is capable of doing it. Apparently, she has to file a complaint to explain that new information has come about in the past 32 years that should be considered. She names "sonograms" and "3-D pictures" and "increased suicide rates in women who have had abortions" as being proof of her change of heart.

She claims that she never knew the consequences of her actions back then.

She and her attorney stated that the suicide rate has risen in women who have had abortions and that they (the women who had abortions), never even knew their doctors in most cases - ummmm, how do they know that?

When asked to back their claims, neither seemed to be able to submit proof.

When asked to prove their suicide rates, she and her attorney were silent.

When asked about the death rate and permanent damage of the women who were forced to have back alley abortions 32 years ago, she said that she wasn't aware of that kind of data.

She looked like an idiot and her attorney even looked embarrassed a few times while she was talking (they were on FOX NEWS - Hannity & Colmes).

She says that three generations have been "lost" because of her original beliefs and she doesn't want to see more generations "lost".

I think she is an egotistical, self-absorbed, activist who wants the rest of the world to swing where and when she swings.

Wouldn't that be amazing to be so arrogant as to think that because you want something, the law should be changed, and then, when you change your mind again, AND AGAIN, the law should be changed, depending on your moods!

THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND ME AND MY PERSONAL BELIEFS ON A DAILY BASIS!!!

Wouldn't that be amazing to be so arrogant???!!!


posted by Julianna · 1/17/2005

14 Comments:
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Goddamn, I love you more every post.  

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Jenni said...
I am appalled. Thanks for the heads up.

And...for lack of something better to say, my best wishes to you.  

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Jenni said...
Um...I meant a better way to say it, not something better to say. Hopefully that was clear. :)  

At 4:37 AM, Blogger Kath said...
Yeah, I would really like the world to be on tenderhooks every time I opened my mouth.  

At 9:08 AM, Blogger sweetisu said...
I'm speechless.  

At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
She has a right to change her mind and to right what she sees as a wrong. How is that arrogant? The fact that you disagree with her, that makes her arrogant?

I know way too many women who had abortions and now regret them. Are you saying their feelings are not valid?

No matter where one stands on the issue, those are valid feelings. Valid emotions. Some women certainly do not regret their abortions. Some women (I am thinking of one blogger in particular) find themselves making life and death decisions re their own health.) But for many women, who were not in medical crisis, who did choose to end a pregnancy, they do regret it. Many of them now see it as a grievious wrong.
That does not make them arrogant.

bunny
konolia@gmail.com  

At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
It is not arrogant to want your feelings validated; however it is extremely arrogant to want to change the law of the land because you feel differently now.

When I was 19 I had an abortion. When I was 30 I had a child, she's now 7 years old. I now know I could never ever have another abortion, but I would never take away the choice for someone else.  

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Mare said...
What I find unfortunate about Ms McCorvey's change of heart is that as a result, she wants to ensure other women are deprived of the choice that she herself once had to make. Of course some women have abortions and then later regret that they did so. I don't see how that should automatically translate into the government/judiciary ruling that we all need to be protected from being allowed to make any decision at all, except the one they say is best for us.  

At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Okay, getting on my soapbox here.

When I was in law school I wrote a paper on how abortion became criminalized. It's a fascinating history. Before the late 1800s, abortion was perfectly legal. Scholars found a wealth of information on this subject by reading women's letters to each other. There are some fascinating letters from "proper" women to their sisters, etc., asking if they know of an abortionist or other methods to terminate a pregnancy. Even in colonial times, when literate women kept housekeeping manuals to pass on to others, they would include "recipes" for herbs that would "bring on menses."

The Catholic church didn't even speak out against abortion until around 100 years ago becasue it was an accepted practice until "quickening."

It wasn't until doctors organized against midwives in an attempt to garner more business that abortion gradually became illegal. At first, doctors just wanted to take all surgeries away from midwives, who were the main providers of abortion. What ended up happening was that the doctors' ability to give abortions became increasingly more circumscribed and by the 1930s, it was completely taken away.

However you feel about abortion, it's interesting to see how it became a political issue. And it's scary to think that women became pawns in this stuggle.

I don't know if any of you have ever been to an abortion clinic, but they're pretty sad places. They aren't full of happily married women skipping in to have yet another abortion because they messed up on vacation and don't want to ruin their figures. Many of the women are poor and desparate. They are almost all very young. I hate to imagine where women in these situations would turn to if abortion were illegal.

Okay, off soapbox now.  

At 6:57 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Bunny.

I think that it is incredibly arrogant to think that ones beliefs should be made LAW and then it becomes hideously arrogant when one changes their mind again and wants laws to be adjusted at their whim.

I think it is ridiculous that I even have to explain that to you.  

At 6:15 AM, Blogger Jeangenie said...
We have the beginnings of a politally-correct Nanny State here too. Resist, resist, resist! We are adults, and should be allowed to stand or fall by our own mistakes, and have the freedom to make them.

Abortion has happened forever. Making it illegal doesn't stop it - it just makes it more dangerous.  

At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Let me add my voice to the outrage. I agree with you completely, Julianna.
May I bring your attention to the Pro_choice America Pledge? http://prochoiceaction.org/campaign/prochoice_pledge/forward

The more signatures, the better.

Kinneret
kinneretb@gmail.com  

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Tiff said...
Wow. I had no idea. Where have I been? Just wondering why I hadn't heard anything about this.  

At 5:40 AM, Blogger Mere said...
THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND ME AND MY PERSONAL BELIEFS ON A DAILY BASIS!!!

Oh my gosh, you just described the Bush administration!

Sorry, I just found this post.  

Post a Comment  •  Home