Sunday, January 23, 2005
Tinkerbell - yes; Peter Pan - no
I have been heavy. Not so much as in weight but in the heart. I have been heavy- hearted.

I was laying in bed with my husband this morning and I told him I wanted to start skipping through life again. "I want to be like Tinkerbell", I said.

"I want you to be happy." is all he said.

"I haven't REALLY, REALLY been happy in a long time. I am completely consumed with my infertility. I am fighting and struggling and afraid that if I give up now, I will regret it later. I feel so under the gun with time. I feel I have wasted so much time in our marriage waiting and hoping and we should have been aggressive a lot sooner. Seventy five percent - 75%! - of any given day is consumed with my empty nursery. I want to be happy and light. I want to be like Tinkerbell flitting through this world."

"That's my baby." is all he said.

"I get so very tired of hoping and trying and wishing and everything is completely out of my control. I can wish and hope and I can relax and not think about it, I can dive into IVF with a vengeance and I can be as positive as the next person......but none of it........NOTHING helps me fill that nursery down the hall. I get angry at people who have it so easy. I used to only get pissed when I heard someone got pregnant and didn't plan it, now I find myself getting pissed if someone gets pregnant doing their first IVF. I am not pissed at them though......I am pissed at my body. I think that deep down, I hate my ovaries and uterus for betraying me. I never, ever imagined I would have these years of infertility hell. I want it fixed, I want it gone, I want to be normal."

"Well, how about you try to be Tinkerbell and I will make an effort to be Peter Pan for you." he said.

"Ewwwwwwwww.........nooooooooo........that would be a turn off to be married to Peter Pan. How about if you continue to be my granite and I will try to be like Tinkerbell."

"That's my baby." is all he said.
posted by Julianna · 1/23/2005

12 Comments:
At 11:54 AM, Blogger E. said...
Oh, Tinkerbelle. I love you, and I love you and your husband Granite together.  

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Kristin said...
Your husband sounds like a very good man...and I hope you get to be Tinkerbelle again. It really sucks beign sad and worried all the time.  

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
It does seem to get worse and worse, doesn't it?  

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Your husband sounds like a wonderful man. I love the interactions between the two of you. You have found your "voice", which is so hard to do when writing. I picture you as the verbose one, and he as the strong, silent one. It is endearing. May your dreams come true soon. Keep hoping.

Jacqueline
jacquie@yahoo.com  

At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
It's just so hard, and I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

- getupgrrl  

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Sandy said...
I'm so glad you have M. And so totally agree with you on the weirdness of being married to Peter Pan! Tinker away there Belle. It's hard to fly, but I think fly we must.  

At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yes, I so understand. I'm sorry.

xxoo,
Emily  

At 1:21 AM, Blogger ankaisa said...
Infertility really does take over your life. I've felt angry, too, more often than I care to count.

But maybe Tinkerbell is still somewhere to be found. I really don't know where and when, but just maybe. I'm hoping you find her one day!  

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Miss X said...
I’m so sorry. I pray you find your happiness again.  

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Cricket said...
I love being called "baby." It dispels all else.

I also love Tinkerbell, just not evil over-achieving mother of twins Tinkerbell. I enjoyed how she was treated in Finding Netherland.

Actually, the Absinthe fairy is looking pretty good to me right now.

You be Tink and I'll be Abby and our men can coo "Baby" at us.  

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Heather said...
It's all so terribly hard. For something that should be so simple to turn out to be this complicated -- what a nightmare. I'm glad you have such a wonderful husband to help carry you through to whatever happy ending eventually awaits you.  

At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
u r gay  

Post a Comment  •  Home