Thursday, February 10, 2005
My Melt Down
So, I kind of lost it last night.

It was a nail in my coffin that I did not need.

My ex boss (in Southern California) called me last night. We have been playing phone tag. A lot has happened in the three years I have been gone, he married the office manager (a gorgeous bimbo who had one daughter out of wedlock and about 5 abortions in the span of a few years that we worked together). Her pregnancies were always "accidents" and she used abortions like people use BCP's. Needless to say, we were never close. She absolutely drove me crazy and is the most self-absorbed person I have ever met.

We'll call her Barbie. Barbie is a stunner. She is more beautiful than most models. When she walks into a room, heads turn. She is very sweet, just stoooopid.

I shouldn't have been so shocked when she left a message a few months ago to tell me that she is now married, to the doctor. They did not date while I worked there, but I knew he was taken by her looks, hell, everyone was taken by her looks. She got away with a lot and I am sure he enjoys being her sugar daddy.

Barbie is 39 and the he is 58. Her daughter is probably 5 now and the doctor has several grown children. He never wanted more children (had a vasectomy with his first marriage) and clearly, Barbie didn't want children either.

You know what's coming don't you?


Yep. They left a message last night (I happened to be blogging and didn't answer the phone - thank you Lord). They said they want to come visit and they are so happy and in love and then Barbie excitedly announced "We're pregnant!!" and he laughed and said "Barbie wanted me to tell you we're pregnant" and they giggled and laughed and said they'd call me today to set up a time to come visit.



I was frozen by the answering machine. I asked my husband if I really just heard that. I didn't move for about 3 minutes. It took a while to register.



I said, "they are not coming here".

M. said, "you've been blowing them off for too long, it's just a weekend."

I said, "there is no fucking way that I can handle them for 3 days! Are you kidding me? I CANNOT HANDLE IT!!!! It is NOT going to happen, no way, no how, not in this lifetime."

M. said, "look, all the dentists around here suck, we are going to go there if we ever need any kind of dental work and we need to quit blowing them off. It is just a weekend!"



It ain't gonna happen. Over my dead body. I mean it. I cannot handle that.



So, I even woke up in the middle of the night tossing turning about this.

I am at my wit's end. No way in hell are they coming here and I geared myself up to stop them in their tracks.

At 9:00 the phone rang, caller ID showed it to be them, I snatched that phone up so fast and my head was spinning.

It was the doctor. He was on his cell, on his way to Santa Barbara and said we had so much to catch up on.

I stopped him right there and said in a calm, nice manner that everything was wonderful here and we loved where we live but that I have been extremely depressed because of not being able to get pregnant. He knows how much I loved babies and children and he worked with me long enough to know that all I want is to be a mother.

And I said it, "how in the hell did y'all get pregnant??"

He gave a little WTF chuckle, and said that they were just kidding and that Barbie felt bad after they left the message because she knew how hard we had been trying.


NOT FUNNY.

Will it ever end?


They're still not coming here. I don't care if my teeth get shitty work for the rest of my life.
posted by Julianna · 2/10/2005

23 Comments:
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Amyesq said...
WTF?? So they are NOT pregnant? That is the worst motherfucking joke I have ever heard. I am nauseous just thinking about it. Who needs enemies with friends like that? No WAY should you let them anywhere near you. If the Dr. is truly a friend, he should understand now is not a good time.  

At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Are you kidding me? What a sick, sick, sick joke. Like Amy said, no one needs enemies with 'friends' like that.

I would move before I'd let them come see me.

xxoo,
Emily  

At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
That's insane. What a mean thing to do, knowing what you've been going through. They need therapy.  

At 11:26 AM, Blogger ~L said...
Not. frigging. funny. I have a hard time imagining how anyone (knowing your situation) could honestly think you'd find that amusing. I know you said they're your friends, but I say they should piss off.  

At 11:37 AM, Blogger E. said...
What the helly hell did they think they were doing??? That is truly, truly insane. Good for you for laying down the law -- you need kindness and lots of it right now. I am so sorry you had to go through that.  

At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
These people are so fuckin' sick and insensitive! If you want, I'll come over and take 'em out for you. I wouldn't want to see them either if I were you. Sick fucks. grumble grumble grumble
Love, Orphie  

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
I really am losing it. I hope this is bottom or thereabouts.

I will hide back here in my own comments to completely unravel.

I just spoke with my sister. I mean it, I am fit to be tied.

She says that I am too sensitive and that I cannot expect people to monitor their behaviors just because I am sensitive. She says that if I was home with babies and they left that message, it wouldn't matter, I would laugh and not care. Even if they were pregnant, I wouldn't have been happy for them and she thinks that is wrong. She says that people aren't going to monitor their stories or jokes just because they are around me and nor should they.

Good. There. Who needs trolls when you have wonderful sisters who care.

I am so completely sick and tired.

I am going to go beat the golf course up today with some balls and some chunky divots and I am going to eat Fritos all afternoon and I may even smoke a cigarette if I can find someone to give me one.
Too bad I don't like beer.  

At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
What? What?? OH NO HE DIDN'T. Please tell me he didn't.

- getupgrrl  

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Jeangenie said...
I'll be charitable and assume they're just stupid and thoughtless. I hope nobody would be so cruel as to do such an unkind thing deliberately.

I still wouldn't have them to stay though. There are limits.  

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
I am sorry your sister is being lame, too. I will have to email you on this one b/c that way we can swap insensitive sister stories. You are so sweet and reasonable and please don't listen to what you sister says on this b/c she is WRONG.  

At 3:55 PM, Blogger Miss X said...
Let me get this straight – they know what you have been through and still they make that “joke”?! That is one of the cruelest things I have ever heard.
Sorry about your sister. She sounds just like my mom who once told me I wanted to “steal people’s joy”, because I was upset about an oops pg!
Enjoy kicking the crap out of the golf balls and scarfing the fritos.  

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Kristin said...
That is a seriously sick fucking joke. It is so wrong in so many ways. You are a good person and deserve so much better. We love you!  

At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Okay. What??!!

Truly a horrible thing to do. I'm sorry you had to experience that.

A temporary pox upon them.

Moogielou  

At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Ummm, do I even need to suggest that you -not- use that guy for future dental work...he's obviously dramatically lacking in common sense. What a crappy joke to play on someone!  

At 12:51 AM, Blogger Chickie said...
jesuschristonapogostick. What the hell is wrong with people. That's not a joke. A fucking joke starts with something like "Knock, knock. Who's there?" Geez. You have a few toxic people in your life.  

At 3:15 AM, Blogger Ana said...
What?? That is a bad joke even if you were not trying to get pregnant but knowing that you are it is just plain sick. Weirdos!  

At 3:18 AM, Blogger Ana said...
Oh and about your sister. I'm not sure you read it in my blog but when I was miscarring the last time and she was nervous about her bar exam she told me that if I did end up miscarrying it wouldn't have real consequences in my life whereas if she failed her test it would mean more studying and less money for her!!!!
Sometimes the ones closer to you are those who hurt you the most.  

At 5:21 AM, Blogger Dee said...
Holy shit--talk about a couple of insensitive idiots. Screw them--who needs people like that in their lives?! I'm so sorry these people are in your world.

And I'm with the Barrenness--give it back to them by scheduling a weekend with them and then making it a point to be out of town when they come--whoops, thought you were kidding when you said you were coming!

Maybe that'll learn 'em...nah, maybe not. They sound too self-absorbed and cruel to be capable of any sensitivity.

So sorry my friend.  

At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Jesus H Henry. WTF is wrong with people??? I agree with everyone else, schedule a weekend with them and then go out of town. So sorry your sister is giving assvice as well. Hang in there! - jen jenbuster@gmail.com  

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Jenn said...
I think your sister is wrong too.

One of the hardest things about what we are going through is the fact that people don't take it seriously. Say your husband dies- even people who haven't experienced it know that you are in pain and treat you accordingly- because it is a tangible loss that people can understand. But infertility is something that people just do not grasp. They say "Oh what is meant to be..." and things that they would never dream of saying to someone who was experiencing another kind of loss. She is wrong, and your so-called friends are also wrong. And also assholes.

-Jenn  

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Jenn said...
(Not your sister- the assholes are your friends- didn't meant that to come out that way!)  

At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
That's just about the shittiest thing I've ever heard. I thought it was bad when someone asked me to my 8th grade dance (psyche! No, you're fat), but this is orders of magnitude shittier.

On the plus side, Blogger just got more awesome about letting unregistered folks like me post comments. Which is not fantastic good news that will make you feel better, but it's something.  

At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yeesh. What assholes. And yes, I include your sister in that, sorry.
Mean people suck.
Don't let em get you down, babe.

Kinneret
kinneretb@gmail.com  

Post a Comment  •  Home