Wednesday, February 16, 2005
You're NOT All That
I hate arrogance. I cannot stand it when someone acts better than everyone else around them and I love to see those kind of people put in their place.

There will always be someone more popular, more important and more sought after.

I had a patient today who thought I should know about her. I am rather new to the area and don't know her family name. Apparently, they bottle herbs and spices, especially garlic mixes (BFD!). She was a B.I.T.C.H and an arrogant one to boot. Here she was thinking she was so famous and important and behaved terribly towards everyone in our office and I was completely unimpressed. I actually was tempted to tell the bitch that I have been around far better but had to bite my tongue. I let her spray the room with her importance.

I used to work in offices where major celebrities were patients. It seemed that the more famous the celebrity, the more humble and kind they were, it was the has beens who were the most difficult. One precious afternoon, an impossible famous has been insisted on being seen in the office immediately and after being given a specific time, he came into the office anyway. I was completely DELIGHTED to be witness to his sunken face when he walked into the waiting room and saw not one, but two very well known and loved celebrities. It was the first time that the has been sat down and waited his turn. It's pathetic that he really does think he is more important than everyone else except those more famous than him.

When I first learned about this hierarchy, I was in the 9th grade. I was with my two sisters at an airport in South Carolina. Our uncle was flying his plane from Atlanta and we were excitedly waiting for him at the private airport section which is completely removed from the public airport. We were outside, along a fence, because we wanted to see who would be the first to spot his plane in the sky.

The Doobie Brothers had a massive plane in the private section and I found it mildly amusing. I liked the Gap Band and K.C. And The Sunshine Band and wasn't too much into the old Doobie Brothers. They had performed at the Carolina Coliseum the night before so that is why they were in Columbia.

I was excitedly watching the sky for my uncle's plane when we noticed a lady opening the door of the Doobie jet and waving us up to her. I exchanged bewildered glances with my sisters and one of them said we should see what the lady wants so we approached the Doobie plane. She informed us that they only had a few minutes and we must hurry. I followed my older sister up the steep stairs and we were handed pictures of each of the band members and we were told we needed to be quick with getting their autographs.

Here I was, not giving a shit about the Doobie Brothers and wondering if my uncle's plane was approaching and I was standing in the aisle of a plane with pictures of these men who I didn't much appreciate and I will never forget their annoying, irritated glances at us while they did us a favor and signed their pictures. I especially remember the long haired men being the kindest and Michael McDonald was the most annoyed. I just held his picture in my hand and let him sign it with his irritated penmanship.

We were polite and let them sign their pictures but I SOOOOOO wanted to tell them why we were really there. I just let them be rude and dismissive and superior to us but it is still one moment in my life that I would love to play differently.

I don't know what would have been perfect but I do know that they would have been knocked off their high horse a bit.

So, that is why that lady bugged the shit out of me today.

I felt like that little 9th grade girl again.
posted by Julianna · 2/16/2005

2 Comments:
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
I can't believe someone would act like that - and at a dentist's office for Chrissakes, although from what you say, it is not that unusual. Geez, sorry I didn't know your family makes SPICES lady.

I used to work at a world famous spa and had famous people come in all the time. Surprisingly, most of them were pretty nice. Of course there it was out job to treat them like God's gift so who knows.

How is TBW these days? Still eating her humble pie?  

At 8:56 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Hi Amy dear.

The name of their spice/garlic stuff ends with "Ranch", like if I had a ranch, I'd name it Julianna's Ranch so their family name is where mine would be.......I SOOOOOOOOOOO wanted to tell her "oh, you're a farmer! I have a lot of relatives who are farmers!"

TBW is SO HUMBLE. She IS the humble pie. What a bitch she is, I swear that woman drives me crazy. She told me today that she is taking clomid starting tomorrow and will time intercourse....I thought "huh? you had two failed IVFs and now you think timing intercourse is the trick?" watch her get pregnant. THAT would be funny - HA HA.

I hope you are well Amy. I am very hopeful for your upcoming IVF#3.  

Post a Comment  •  Home