Saturday, February 26, 2005
Wine Night Knowledge and Tricks
I have been inspired to write about wine.

vines Posted by Hello


This will not be about my infertility, perhaps I will make it a Friday event if there is enough interest.

Sometimes my infertility woes get on my own nerves so I offer some levity.


barrels Posted by Hello



I have learned an enormous amount and still know very little about wine. I used to only like white wine coolers (people in the South drink diluted wine and I will defend that practice by saying that it is HOT there and you need something refreshing in the summertime - there is nothing wrong with it).

I guess I am a bit defensive because those are my wine roots - wine coolers.

I find myself in wine country now. We have wonderful friends who own an award winning winery and my husband helps out on the weekends with tastings. I used to help out with tastings (I think I lasted three festival events) but people got on my nerves so bad that I decided to be a participant and not a "pourer".

There are so many wine snobs and people try to be intimidating with their questions when they taste wines. I cannot tolerate these people. My husband, surprisingly, loves the challenge of the queries. He has studied a lot about wine and I am amazed with his answers to pretentious questions.

1. Don't ever let anyone make you feel insecure about your wine knowledge.

2. For every "correct" way, there is another way.

3. There are many arrogant people who sip wine.

4. You can mix fish and red (zins), and meat with white wine if that is your preference. The people that bend the rules are the ones who invent the next trends.


I think the things that surprise me the most are that the older the vines, the more the roots go deep into the earth. The deeper the roots go into the earth, the more flavors get into the grapes and the vines don't even need to be watered. They are getting their water very, very deep down. These wines are usually labeled "dry farmed" because they don't require irrigation. They are usually more flavorful or "beefy" as some might say.

The longer the grape is on the vine, the more flavorful the grape.

When you have very hot days and very cool nights, the grapes can stay on the vine for several weeks longer than other regions and thus provide more full flavors.

Some wineries never prune "reduce" their grape clusters so they have a lot more yield per acre. The more preferred wines generally reduce their grape clusters so that each vine only produces a certain amount and that insures that the grapes are more flavorful.

Cheap wineries never reduce their crops. Reducing crops = less finished product = more flavorful wine. Thus the price point comes into effect.

You can buy cheap, good wine.

My tastes have changed to full bodied reds but I used to only enjoy fruity white wines.

You can make a cheap bottle of wine taste exponentially better by using a decanter. Get a decanter that is very fat so more air can contact the liquid line. I could get my husband to explain the logistics scientifically but it has something to do with the air molecules mixing with the wine molecules and breathing. We all like to breathe.........no?


Decanter Posted by Hello

Red wine LOVES to breathe. That is why their glasses are fatter than white wine glasses.

Recommendations for some affordable red wines:

Rosemount Cabernet or Shiraz


Rosemount Posted by Hello

the blend is nice too - the longer you let it breathe, the more delicious the flavor.

Kendall Jackson RESERVE

Kendall Jackson Posted by Hello

always delicious when decanted. If you put this bottle in a decanter for 30 minutes, it will taste like a very expensive bottle of fine wine.

Two Buck Chuck


Two Buck Chuck Posted by Hello

at Trader Joe's stores. Let it breathe and air for a long time - put it in a decanter for an hour and you will delight your palate with it's flavor. TWO DOLLARS!!!!



In order to not clog the brain, I offer one more piece of assvice:

Taking the cork out of the bottle does not let the wine breathe. It needs a lot more air space than that measly neck of a bottle. Rather pour it in glasses and swirl it if you don't have a decanter.
posted by Julianna · 2/26/2005

14 Comments:
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Is that how you get 2-buck Chuck to be palatable? I always thought it was awful stuff, but if it gets good with some decanting--it's two dollars. Wow. Must get one of those decanters. Awesome advice.

And I love wine coolers. They're yummy! What's not to like about yummy booze?! But yeah, I like a good pinot noir too (and I haven't seen the movie Sideways, so no, that's not why).  

At 6:30 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...
Julianna, you are making my mouth water so! I have a glass of wine spritzer like once a year (due to medications) but I would like to drown myself in all those wines (even the 2 buck one!). I think you have missed your winery vocation!

And I have seen Sideways and it is my Oscar fave!!  

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Julianna said...
I haven't seen Sideway's yet. The wine snobs around here don't much care for the movie. M. and I usually wait to watch a movie when it comes out on DVD so I can't wait to see that one.

I had someone ask me about the decanter so I just added a picture of the one we like best.

Miracle, thank you for the Brown Brothers suggestion, I'll look it up.  

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thanks for the wine lesson! I am going to go air out some of my FIL's vile home made stuff and see if it helps.

jc  

At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wow. I printed that. That will be my red wine bible. Continuing wishes of good things coming your way.
A  

At 3:09 PM, Blogger Chickie said...
Thanks for the lesson! Sometimes when we're out I'll have wine that I like but never know what to buy myself. If you say some of this is good, I'll pick it up next time I'm shopping.  

At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
ok, here we go...
pulls out cork to let wine breathe...
oh my lord! it's not breathing!
quick! mouth to mouth!
glug glug glug


take care my dear and lots of love from henry and trouty and all your mates on the other side of the pond.  

At 6:38 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Thanks for the brilliant tutorial, my dear. Please keep it up. I love wine but am clueless about it. Here's hoping I can travel north one of these days and toast you with a lovely glass in person.  

At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
What's really odd (read interesting) is we went to Montezuma's (mexican resturant chain in Australia) for my dad's bithday last night and my husband and dad shared a bottle of the Rosemont Cab-Sav. And really enjoyed it too.  

At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Please make this a regular event! I love wine but feel so stupid about it and why I like this or that; I get intimidated so easily. I even wonder if the waiter is questioning my choice when I order this with that. I have never seen a decanter that looks like that, I am going to go on a shopping hunt to see if I can fetch one somewhere.

Henry the thirst is a witty ole chap, does he have a blog? I clicked on his name but only got a page expired thingy.

Good luck with your doctor's appointment and glad you could keep your job until you are ready to leave.

Jacqueline  

At 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Terrific article, Julianna. I wondered why I had so many decanters that dont get used. I will fetch one from the cellar right now!
And Jacqueline, Henry does have a blog try www.simong.org and click on the link  

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Jeangenie said...
We get our wine when we pop over the channel to France on a day trip. Wine and beer's much cheaper there, and we don't have to pay import duty. We fill up the car with petrol while we're there too, cos that's cheaper as well.

And *they* try to convince us that this isn't 'Rip-off Britain'. Huh!

Anyway, I don't know much about wine, except that I like it - all except sweet wines. A nice chablis or cabernet sauvignon slips down a reat.  

At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thanks for the excellent tips. I actually took "Introduction to Wines and Spirits" in college but think I learned as much from you!

We have to pay three bucks here in Michigan for our Two Buck Chuck, so I'm definitely going to get a decanter to protect my "investment."  

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Mike said...
I think your web page about buy cheap dvd online is great and just wanted to say thanks. I have a website about ref="http://www.dvdangels.com">buy cheap dvd online that you might like to check out. Thanks again for your website. I will tell others to come and take a look.  

Post a Comment  •  Home