Saturday, October 16, 2004
I Need A Next
I am starting to stick my head out of my shell and peak around a bit. My eyelids are permanently swollen. Mascara will never be the same on me again. Well.......... it will. I'm just being dramatic.

This morning I woke up and got out of bed before I cried. The first time I haven't had to get out of bed to get more tissues.

It was so nice to see my lovely M. Thursday afternoon. He is my granite. I have not mentioned his bad boo boo. He feels terrible about it, said he was sorry and I need to learn and drop something for once. He loves me more than anything and I know he was lost and hurting and shocked and he just thought I wanted to know ASAP. I'll make myself more clear next time. That is what hurt the most though, the elation of "I knew I was going to be pregnant this time!!" to complete devastation. It was a nightmare.

I am lost. My entire life has been on a road to my children. I am cursed with knowing that from a very early age. I find myself searching and I see nothing but that same road.

So, I decided........I am going to stay on that road. I have to.

I think M. and I should still time intercourse, I ovulate regularly and it is rather easy to track. We will not give up entirely. I (and all of you) know that things don't look good. Something is very clearly, crystal clearly, wrong. The chances of sex causing a pregnancy are just about nil. A catheter filled with great blastocysts can't even get me pregnant!

I think that depression comes when there is no hope, no road to travel down. I may be headed down a fairy tale road like looking for prince charming on his horse when I was younger but at least I have a road and I can once again have hope and look around with wishful eyes.

I think it is normal to replay an event over and over again. I am trying to make sense of all of this. I am smart. I have spent endless hours reading about infertility and IVF and ICSI and rescue ICSI. If I had any assvice to give everyone going through IVF - DO ICSI - the statistics are profound, greater fertilization, no risk of zero fertilization thus ruining the entire cycle. Rescue ICSI does not cause live births....it can cause fertilization but not live births. Why risk zero fertilization and even less fertilization??? DO ICSI.

Well, if that last paragraph stopped one woman from having a ruined IVF cycle or gave her just one more embryo, then it was worth it.

Back to me. I have replayed my scenario and I am baffled. I wish there was a diagnosis. I wish they could say "high FSH" or "abnormal sperm".....instead, everything looks too excellent. My FSH is 3.4! My response to the meds indicates my low FSH, I have so many mature eggs and our fertilization rate is great (with ICSI). Last time, I responded as well as they would hope an ovum donor would respond! What gives?

Could all of my eggs be cooked? Could they really? There is nothing that indicates my eggs are bad except we can't seem to have a baby want to keep dividing and growing.

I keep going back to my grandmother had my mother at 46, and my paternal grandmother had my father and his fraternal twin at 39. If heredity plays any kind of role, I should be blessed in that area.

Dr. Beautiful has eluded to the fact that it is my age. She has also been stunned at my response however. I know that the sperm is rather insignificant - well........it is! It is like the gas that goes into the car. Our eggs are the cars that have to do all of the work from then on. They have to be normal and strong and willing.

If it is my age, then I am fucked. Because I am only getting older - duh. I got married at 37 and nothing was better then.

If it is a numbers game, even IVF had 28 eggs to deal with. I'm not a rocket scientist but 28 minus 28 equals a big fat ZERO and those are not good odds. Nope...... not looking good.

I still have to travel down this fantasy road. The road where my children are at the end waiting for me. I am completely lost without it.

If someone told me......here is a mile of hot coals and you must walk the mile but you will have your babies on the other end. I would ask for some water and get to walking. If my feet were burned to little nubs at the end, I wouldn't care. It would be worth it.

Now, what if that same someone said "walk this mile of coals and you MAY have a child at the end"? hmmmmmmmm.........I'd still say "Give me some water".

IVF is like that road of coals. It is a painful, difficult path. Your regular life stops when you travel that path and the shattered bits of yourself when it fails are scars forever.

I don't want to walk that mile for it be for naught. That is what sucks so bad. Having nubby feet and still no baby.

The only thing that takes away some of the pain, is my next.

M. took me to a beautiful winery yesterday afternoon. We went out on a veranda, looking down on the vineyard and beautiful mountains were in the distance and I asked him "what do you think? what next? I need a next."

He said "We have to get through this. We know we don't want to adopt but.... what if we try IVF again? Not anytime soon...... but maybe we can try IVF again."

So, I sipped my wine, I looked out at the beautiful view and a flock of birds were flying in the distance and I didn't say anything. I started to cry. The first thing that came to my mind was, am I up for it? Am I up for the pain again? Can I start another IVF with so much hope and handle another failure? Each mounting failure equals a reality I don't want to accept. I was also quite moved because I had to practically beg my lovely husband to do IVF#2, so for him to even offer it to me was surprising.

I looked at M. and said "yes, maybe we can try IVF again...... when?"

"Not anytime soon" he said.

I don't know what that means but somehow it makes me feel a little bit better. I have a road, I have a next.

posted by Julianna · 10/16/2004

18 Comments:
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I think that makes a lot of sense. You and M. are in agreement and obviously your hearts are telling you what to do next. That is all you need to listen to right now.

Thank you for continuing to share what you have learned with all of us out here in blogland. I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

-Lori  

At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
There are several things that I can see and have empathy regarding you - and I'm sure that this has been brought up to you before. However, allow me to say this, it has been shown that when a woman is stressing over getting PG (and you are) it messes with your internal system.

I have two suggestions -
1) Like when I was dating (many, many years ago), I always found that if I 'was looking' - if I was 'on the prowl' - I usually got no where. I either attracted the wrong type of person or I attracted no one. By the same token, when I just worked on myself, making myself a better person - bang, my innnet self attracted the right kind of person. So my suggestion, get on with your life. Think of the things (other than a baby) that you've always known that you've wanted to do, or could do, or wanted to improve. Even if that doesn't help the baby come (and it might) you will end up being a better person in general and happier with yourself in particular.
2) Again, my guess is that you've tried/are trying everything under the book to get pregnant. However, my wife and I married late (comparitively) in life. When we finally decided to have a family, she kept telling me that she 'knew' when she was ovulating, so we tried and tried (I liked that part) and no PG. She started to panic, I told her to go get the kit that tells her when she is ovulating - the first month we tried that (and consumated at the proper time according to the kit) - boom, she was pregnant.

Like I said, I'm almost sure you've tried number two. One more quick story regarding number one. A friend's wife fretted over not getting PG, finally they agreed and settled on adoption. They were successful and did adopt - evidently this took so much stress off her mind that boom two years later, she got PG. Since then they've had 3 more. Your own stress level really plays a part.  

At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm glad there is a next for you. Not having a next really sucks. I'm hoping for you, I really am.  

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Mikey, mikey, mikey.........thank you for your comment.

Positive thoughts do not a baby make.

Not in my case.

I am the queen of pollyannaville. I was so sure I was pregnant so many times that I had morning sickness from the positiveness.

I get it ..........I get it that even the obsessing over being positive can put a jinx on getting pregnant.

I get it.

Shit happens.

People do get pregnant when they are trying. People do get pregnant when they are not trying.

Some 45 year old women pop up pregnant after years of infertility and some lucky assholes live when they fall out of airplanes.

I need help. With my 3 years of marriage and the number of IVF eggs, I have had a total of 6 1/2 years worth of "trying".

Something is clearly wrong and we need intervention.

I may be a lucky asshole and get pregnant next month when I happen to knowingly nudge my husband and tell him that I so want him to make love to me ..... he will know.

Perhaps, I will get drunk and do it in the back seat of our car. That seems to be good assvice as well.

Mikey, what would you have done if your wife didn't or couldn't get pregnant? No matter what you did or didn't do? Can you imagine your life without your children? Isn't that what rocks your world? Your family?

I am trying, I am not trying, I am doing everything and nothing.

In the meantime, I will try to just relax and be happy.

Thank you.  

At 12:18 PM, Blogger akeeyu said...
Well, I was going to offer comfort for the difficult road you've already travelled and support for the difficult road ahead, but clearly, that would be silly.

What you REALLY need is patronizing assvice from a man!

Just relax, my ass. Hrmph.

Julianna, honey, I'm glad you're still fighting. I'm glad you have a 'next' again.  

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Dawn said...
Julianna, I am happy to hear you have found your "next." We got our negative this afternoon and I am already working on our "next." Our next is a drastically different path than we ever thought we'd go down, but just as you know you need to keep walking down this road, sometimes too we figure out that we just cannot continue anymore, as difficult a decision as that may be. We're trying to answer that question as I type this, and it is a toughie. I am happy to hear that you are finding the "next" that works best for you.  

At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Julianna,

Sweetie, I am glad to see that you have a next in mind. This is what has been so hard for me, the no next. My FSH IS high and if someone with an FSH of 3.4 who makes 28 eggs can't, well, then you can see my reluctance to even attempt IVF -- the odds are just not in my favor. Your age might be a deterent, but your FSH and age put you in a better risk category with regard to success than my 39 year old eggs and 9.8 FSH -- that's how much FSH matters.

Just a thought here because clearly, your eggs are bountiful and if they were 'cooked' there's no way on this earth you'd ever get a reading of 3.4 FSH. Are your periods light by any chance? I ask this because I've been complaining about this for years and everyone says no problem, so long as you're regular, blah, blah, blah. I said it means my uterine lining isn't thick enough and that's why I'm having problems. My acupuncturist confirmed my diagnosis and has been specifically working on getting my lining thicker and putting more progesterone into my system. It's just a thought, that since you're on the natural route like me that you might want to investigate these options. I have to laugh at myself being so devoted to Eastern medicine because I am completely a "get me to a doctor so I can take a pill" type of girl.

And Michael, is it? Well congratulations on getting every cliche possible in one blog comment. Your pablum is so assinine that I wouldn't even deign using any of my 155 IQ to think of a response.

Thank you for the comments on my blog. I'm thinking of you and holding you tight in my prayers.

Love,
Emily  

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Hi Emily (and everyone)... to answer your question.....I do have heavy periods....very bad cramps and heavy first day periods.......it only lasts a few days but the first day is the worst......if I don't catch the cramps at the first onset, i am left completely ill (vomiting, diarhea,clammy, - apparently my autonomic nervous system shuts down?) - they say it is from the pain. Also, your uterus nerve trunk is also somehow affiliated with the intestines so that is why i have intestinal distress if i don't start popping advils at the first onset......i can stop all of it with the advil though. It makes me wonder if something is wrong with that scenerio.......I am interested in accupuncture again and will look into it. I am sorry you can't do IVF......I don't blame you.  

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Stacy said...
Julianna, I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I am glad you posted. I am also glad you addressed Michael’s comment.

In regard to Michael's comment... It has to be a joke. Really, it is...isn't it?

Just in case it is not a joke I have to say: Michael, you are so far off the mark I don’t even know where to start.

To suggest that you have any inclination of what infertility is is insulting. You really should understand the subject you’re providing information on before you give advise. Of course, had you done that then you would have known to keep your assvise to yourself!  

At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Ya know, several of you hammered me and (I believe) unfairly. I stated two items/ideas/suggestions that MIGHT work - however, I'm NOT a doctor, I don't even play one on a blog. That is beside the point, because the point is that folks should do what they can to help a fellow human being when that fellow human being is in misery.

Yes, I realize, that saying 'relax' when the person's mind is totally focused on that one item is a bit like saying 'ignore it' when there is an outbreak of hives on your arm. Is it good advice, probably - is it hard to do - definitely. Will it work, on some folks it does work, on other folks it doesn't.

I'm not a woman and I realize that she wants a family almost more than life itself. I sympathize for her, I really do. I wish (like so many of you out there) that I could wave a magic wand and make it all okay for her. I wish that I could pay someone and make her life the way she wants it. I can't, you can't, nice words like 'hang in there' and 'we feel for you' are great, support is always appreciated by anyone having a difficult time. Another 'nice thing' are suggestions as to what has worked for others. Will it work? I dunno, can you prove that it won't? I have some evidence that shows that it might.

Were my suggestions a joke? No!!! I was as serious as the day is long. Like I said before, I feel for this woman and I'll be saying some prayers to ask God to help her situation, her life. Don't slam me for trying to help.  

At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Michael,

You are an asshole. You don't know what you are talking about and you shouldn't have posted here. You are NOT a doctor and you have no clue. Your wife got pregnant the month she discovered an Ovulation Prediction Kit and now you are the chosen one.........the blessed and enlightened one. FUCK you and your recommendations. Keep your ideas to yourself.


I am sorry Julianna for taking up your blog space and if this upsets you. I am just outraged. Julianna, you are doing everything possible and I am sorry you are going through everything you are going through.

Jacqueline  

At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
An Ovulation Predictor kit?!! You're kidding! They actually make those?! I can figure out when I'm ovulating and just get pregnant "boom."? I can't believe noone ever told me that!

And I'm super duper relaxed right now, so why the fuck am I not pregnant right this second? Boom, like that?

Ummm. Fuck off?

Anyways, Julianna I've been thinking about you a lot the last couple of days. I am so sorry, it's all so heartbreaking, but you seem to be a lot more resilient than you even imagined.
Keep on making next steps.

patricia
http://laf.typepad.com/  

At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Julianna -
It's amazing, I posted the comments to you and I believe you understood my meaning. I'm sorry that others feel it necessary to belittle me. Please do me a favor a delete all my comments. The comments were meant for you and written out of compassion. I probably would have written you via email, but that option wasn't available to me.

To those of you who feel it's necessary to swear at me, okay, hope it makes you feel better. This is not a flame war, I won't reply (any more than this). I will leave you (flamers) with this thought - what IF one of my ideas was something that she HADN'T tried, but did, and it worked. Should I keep my mouth shut just because it 'might' be something she is already aware of?  

At 4:19 AM, Blogger Stacy said...
Michael, you said "Should I keep my mouth shut just because it 'might' be something she is already aware of?" YES!!! YES you should have kept your mouth shut. If you knew anything about IF you would know that the number one thing NOT to say to someone is "just relax." Julianna and her husband did IVF. A very expensive ($10,000 plus) and time consuming procedure. IVF means you take many, many drugs, get prodded and poked in your nether regions about a zillion times, incur painful blood testing and procedures, in hopes that you will finally, after many years of IF, get pregnant. I can assure that someone going through IVF knows when she ovulates. Your assumption that she doesn’t know this is insulting and lessens and demeans everything she is feeling. You compared you wife’s issues with Julianna's and there is no comparison. You wife and you were not infertile in any way, shape, or form. You would do yourself a favor to realize your mistake and apologize rather than continue to justify you comments. After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Next time you decide to spread some good intentions get yourself educated first!  

At 4:53 AM, Blogger Sandy said...
Hey Julianna....
Glad to hear that your personal next is in sight for you and M. and that you've poked your head out for another look around. It is definitely hard to keep putting one foot in front of the other, but sounds like that's what you've chosen to do. I'm proud of you, and you know that you and M. are in my daily thoughts and prayers my friend. Thanks for your post over on my blog ... appreciate it.  

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Dee said...
Julianna, it sounds like you have indeed walked over those IVF coals and with the greatest of strength. You are amazing, really you are.

Your next is coming. I think that M. and you agreeing on that cements the direction things will eventually go in. In the meantime, I've no doubt that you'll do everything in your power to keep the flame lit, the hope alive. I'm hoping with you my dear friend and sending you so much love.  

At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I do not know Michael, am NOT condoning what he said and when I first read his comments, I couldn't believe what I was reading. Relax?! OPK?! Adoption?! Good grief. I have been trying for three years and have been told all of those things several times (the OPK one is the best--ha!) and I rage every time someone says any of those things. SO...again, I am not agreeing with him and I do think he should refrain from giving infertile women advice in the future, or at least until he becomes a little more educated.

HOWEVER. I do think that Michael's heart was in the right place--he is a man, he wants to "fix things" and because of his wife's ovulation confusion, he thought he had been through the pain of infertility. It's hard to see the good intentions when the advice seems so assanine and so elementary--but give Michael a break, he was only trying to help. Most men do not get it entirely, even if their wives are IF patients. Most women don't get it either. The truth is, unless someone has walked in an infertile woman's shoes, they just don't know. They don't know how it feels, how it hurts, how it is constantly on our minds, how the pain of it crops up at the most undesirable times and locations, and how much all the advice in the world just will not help. None of us have gotten this far without examining every little bit of our lives, searching for some sort of clue as to why we cannot have a family. If the "simple" answers would have worked, we would not be in this situation anymore.

And Michael, in the future, "I understand," and "I'm listening" and "This is just not fair" DOES help us. We are not looking for solutions from people who don't play doctors on blogs...we are looking for support and understanding and many times, the fewer the words the better.

Just my two cents...And Julianna, I am thinking of you and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, hurts, hopes with us, even the anon readers like me. You are a blessing and I wish only the best for you.  

At 2:29 PM, Blogger Heather said...
Julianna,
I've been so worried about you, I just breathed a huge sigh of relief when I was finally able to get on here and see your post. I could almost hear the beginnings of renewed hope in it, and believe me when I say I know how hope can kick you in the ass. However, I'm not sure that it's possible to moved on without her, so I'm so glad you're letting her back in.

You've got a real winner in M., and I'm so glad the two of you have reached an agreement on what to do next. As always, I will be thinking of and praying for you both.  

Post a Comment  •  Home