Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Taxi Cab driver
After my last failed IVF, I went to Las Vegas to see my mother and sister who were visiting sin city from South Carolina.

I got off the plane and headed for the Luxor hotel and casino where they were awaiting my bruised and saddened body.

I got a van. A taxi van. For just me.

I asked the driver if I could sit up front with him.

I wouldn't want people up front with me if I were a taxi driver but I must have looked non-threatening enough that he allowed me to sit beside him.

Taxi man: "Where are you headed?"

Sweet Me: "Luxor"

Taxi Man: "So you meeting your husband?" he must have seen my wedding finger

Sweet Me: "Nope. I am meeting my mother and sister who are here from South Carolina."

Taxi Man: "So, you have any kids?"

evil me thinking: Jesus! WILL IT EVER END?

Sweet Me: "I can't have kids"

this was the first time I ever uttered that sentence from my mouth

Taxi Man: "What?"

Sweet Me: "icanthavekids"

Taxi Man: "What do you mean you can't have kids?"

Sweet Me: "I just finished a cycle of IVF. It was a complete, unadulterated failure. complete, positive failure."

Taxi Man: "What? You believe you can't be a mother? Doctors don't know anything."

Sweet Me: "I should be having my babies embedding inside of my uterus right now but instead, I am here with you on my way to get consoled by my mother."

Taxi Man: "Let me see your right hand. ........no..........put it in a fist..............now..........show me your pinky side of your hand."

Taxi Man: studying my hand intently while driving down the strip "You will have a baby. Doctors don't know anything. I see that you will have a baby. What do you think about when you make love to your husband?"

Sweet Me: "what?"

Taxi Man: "Have you ever noticed that stupid women have lots of babies? It is because they don't think of anything when they are making love. What do you think about when you are making love?"

Sweet Me: "umm.......well............I think ..............that fucking sperm better find my fucking egg."

Taxi Man: " see! you need to think of nothing. Like stupid women do. Stop thinking of anything. You will have a baby. I see it in your creases."

Sweet Me: "so.......you really think I will have children? you think I will have a baby?"

Taxi Man: stopping at the Luxor entrance "That will be $12.50. You'll have a child. It is in your hand. Doctors don't know anything."

Sweet Me: "So.....you think I will be a mother? You think I will have a child? My creases say that I will have a child?" me .....not wanting to leave him

Taxi Man: "Yep. $12.50. Quit thinking so much when you make love."

Sweet Me: giving him a $20.00 bill and telling him to keep the change "Thank you."

Taxi Man: "You'll have a baby. Don't worry. Doctor's don't know anything."

Sweet Me: "Thank you. You really think I will have a baby?? No......really??"

I don't give a crap if he was a quack taxi driver. I loved him that day. I needed him that day.

posted by Julianna · 8/31/2004

2 Comments:
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Please, let the gods listen to the Taxi Man!!!!!

xxoo

Anna H.  

At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
That was classic. Praying the taxi man is right :)

Emily
http://scrambledeggs.blogs.com/scrambled_eggs/  

Post a Comment  •  Home