Monday, October 18, 2004
Celebrities and Me
It seems that the curse of infertility is lessened if you are a celebrity. Sure, it exists, and some talk about it, but those that do talk about it, have overcome it. It can then be their badge of success, how they overcame it.

Now, let's begin with beautiful Brooke. Is that the most gorgeous child you have ever seen (not her, her daughter)? She did IVF SEVEN (by most accounts), 7 times and finally had that baby. She seems to have had the most difficult fight. I cannot imagine SIX failed IVF's and then finally getting a positive at number seven. Furthermore, when you get that far, how do you relax until the baby is born? I'm guessing that each month was a difficult milestone until it finally, finally happened for her. Unfortunately, it seems she had a very difficult first year with post partum depression. She has not had an easy time and she has fought the good fight.

Next is Courtney. It was very brave what she did. She was very open and vocal about her IVF even in the midst of the process. It is one thing to announce a pregnancy but quite another to admit that you are undergoing IVF and have tried it in the past and it didn't work. She got pregnant with that IVF and has a beautiful baby girl. I love seeing the pictures of her on the beach in Malibu with their dog and baby. That is what I want.

Now, let's go to Celine. Celine announced that she wanted a baby and quit work to do it. She did in fact get pregnant with that IVF and had the light of her life little boy. From all accounts, and I keep hoping I have heard it wrong, she had one embryo placed and it took and she has one embryo frozen. Huh? Really? They only placed one and only froze one? She speaks of the other embryo excitedly and is wondering when to get pregnant with it. Huh? Surely, we are missing something. Just because you are a celebrity, do your embryos defy odds??

Next is Julia. She is having twins and I think it is lovely. I have never read anything about whether it is definitely IVF but I assume it is. She is more in the closet with her fertility drama. I secretly hope she didn't get pregnant with the first IVF - and with twins. I can be bitchy that way. I would like to see a bit of a struggle so I can be even happier for her. I really like Julia and I guess I'm just jealous.

Now to daytime.

Kelly Ripa gets pregnant at the drop of a hat and everything discussed on that show about pregnancy and children never even considers infertility. Celine was even on this morning and Kelly said to her: "Just wait until you have another one!" and I saw Celine pause. Perhaps I imagined it. But Celine seemed to pause. At least Celine knows it is not so easy. It is not an afterthought. Didn't Kelly know she has struggled with infertility?

Now to my least favorite show, "The View". Elizabeth, that lucky (read: silly bitch) girl said that they were trying about 5 months ago. I saw her announce it and thought "oh no", "be careful", "what if it doesn't happen like you think it will and you are on national T.V."....cut to her announcement last month that she is "Several months pregnant" and ecstatic. I am happy for her. Really I am.........somewhere deep, deep down in the pit of me, somewhere I am happy for her......I must be because I am a nice person and all. Today, just now, that little twit came out on the show with a T-shirt that says "Got Baby!"......okay, she doesn't know how lucky she is and I'll ignore it. I don't guess I should expect them to be sensitive to anyone who might be infertile.

If I had breast cancer, should I be mad at Pamela? no.

Now, to Star Jones. I am so sick and tired of hearing about her stupid wedding. To me, she is so self-absorbed and I do not like her. She is my age. She is having her first wedding next month and her big drama is whether she will breast feed her baby or not! Huh? Am I conscious? Am I really seeing this? You can bet your sweet ass that that bitch WILL get pregnant within the first few months and then will carry on as if that is the way life goes. You get married later and you start a family immediately and we all live happily ever after. I would love it, LOVE IT, if she is infertile. I would love to see someone like her fail. To announce to the world "I don't think I want to breast feed" and then be in a place where she announces "I wish I could get the chance once in my life to have sore breasts from a positive beta". I would love to see her be vocal about her failure to become pregnant. I would love to see her sit with an 8 month pregnant Elizabeth and wear a T-shirt that says "Got Nothin'!". But watch, that Star will get pregnant immediately and she and Elizabeth will ooooohhh and ahhhhhhh and gooooooo over how their baby shower theme is just the best! One wish: I wish upon a star that Star Jones will have trouble conceiving. I may like her better then, if I saw a little less arrogance and a little bit of pain.

Perhaps I am a bit bitter?

just. a. tad. bitter.


posted by Julianna · 10/18/2004

17 Comments:
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Count me in on the bitter party, but then again, I'm not very nice and I don't care. My t-shirt will say, Infertility made me this way, want to make something of it? Hee hee.

I just remember Connie Chung -- no one talks about her much, but do you remember that she quit work because she publicly announced that she was going to do everything, no holds barred to have a baby? Then do you remember how two or three years later she reappeared in public, going back to work, but no baby was ever mentioned? We only hear about the successes, but everyone is mum to talk about those are unable, despite jumping through every hoop imaginable. The problem is, that is why infertility is still so in the closet, so to speak because people think you just go do IVF and poof! a baby appears. It's just not that simple and what are those of us supposed to do when it just won't happen, no matter how much we relax, pray, think positive, or get a turkey baster full of sperm?

Thinking of you and sending you lots of love.

Emily  

At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Heh, I love it. Star is the most annoying person on tv, well, next to Fertile Kelly who drops a spawn and is back to size 5 the next week.

love ya
lorrie  

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Stacy said...
I got a copy of the new Concieve magazine from my RE's office. Its a magaize for infertiles. I really like the premier issue. Instead of baby stuff the ads are for things like the Follistim Pen, adoption agencies, Resolve, and pregnancy tests.It has an article called"Celebrity Success Stories" that is similar t your post. In this article it says that Kelsey Grammer and his most recent wife, Camille Donatacci, can not convieve because of her IBS so they used a surrogate to have 2 children. It also discusses Courtney Cox, who, according to the article, went through several miscarriages and on thier second IVF attempt got and stayed pregnant. As you metnioned Brooke Shields took 7 IVF's to get pg but this was only after a miscarraige at 3 months. Another one mentioned in the article is Alex Kingston from ER. She tried wth Dh #1 for 4 years with no success then the marriage fell apart. She remarried and tried for anohter 6 months with no luck. She tried IUI where the doctor would actually come to the ER set and do the IUI so she wouldnt miss work (oh to be so rich) but still did not get preg. She did IVF and retrieved 5 eggs but none fertilized. She took a few months off incorporated yoga and an infertility therapist and got pg on the next round of IVF. 2 eggs fertilized and were implanted and one grew to become her now 3 year old daughter.

I like that these people are coming out with thier stories. I think it helps to uncover some of the secrecy of IF.

Blessings!  

At 1:19 PM, Blogger Sandy said...
You rock Julianna! Thank you for bringing a smile to my crabby face today. I was sitting in my doctor's office, and the tv was on "The View". I couldn't hear it very well, but I could see it well enough to see that "Got Baby" t-shirt. I'm usually working when it's on so wasn't up to speed on the Survivor chick's fertile myrtle status until today. Maybe Star's t-shirt can read "Got Milk...but nowhere to put it"??? By the way...mine will now read "Have Referral to Clinic". It's a done deal.  

At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Heather said...
OMG, that shirt. If I could've reached through the screen and beat the hell out of her (alright, she's pregnant, so I guess I would've had to confine my blows to her not-even-a-little-bit-bloated face), I would've.

I swear, the absolute pinnacle of insensitivity.  

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Dee said...
Too funny sweetie! I thought I was the only one who absolutely detested Star Jones--glad to know I'm not. And I'm joining you in the "I hope she can't conceive right off the bat" thinking--but I guess we know that the g-ds like to do crap like that for a few shits & giggles at the infertile's expense.

Yep. I'm bitter and proud...pleased to be on your team.  

At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Whoops. I just realized that my comments linking Star Jones and PCOS sounded really insensitive. My apologies if I offended.

But, I still hate Star Jones and I STILL think she looks like an African American Divine. Poor Divine, at least I liked him.  

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Cricket said...
I just found your blog. I, too, am from SC. I, too, have cooked too long. I'm 42. I understand your frustration, even though my road is quite different.

A single neighbor of mine recently commented, at age 45, that Edwards' wife gives her hope - she started her family up again at age 48. I commented that I'm pretty darn sure she used donor eggs and went through a bunch of hoops to get there. My neighbor, an accountant type more comfortable with budgets than ovaries, never thought to question the fact that the Edwards had 2 small children and the mom is over 50, probably well into menopause symptoms.

I'm not much for keeping my head in the sand. That's why I appreciate your post. Celebs don't have miracle children; theirs take lots of work, too.  

At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
None of my business, but I wandered if Brooke didn't use donor. Anyways, kelly and Elizabeth? It's toooo perfect.Being the cynic (okay bitter) i wander if it's all that they appear to be.

Marla  

At 3:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
What I love is that the moment a celebrity announces they are trying it's "news." Like J Lo on the cover of Us (I think it's US) this week. "READY FOR BABY!" the cover announces. Uh, okay. And all the articles about Jen Aniston--I'm starting to feel like maybe they're having a bit o' trouble there. I think I read something about them adopting if treatments don't work.

There was also Sarah Jessica Parker, who made a baby in one or two months (or so she said) but was seen cycling at Cornell a bunch of times and was rumored to have gone through IVF. *Sigh.* I don't think celebrities should have to post their infertility all over the place--it's such a private thing--but it really feels good when they do. Validates my feelings.

And fertile celebrities that do things like Debra Messing--who said "I thought we'd have trouble, but all he had to do was SNEEZE on me"--are the WORST.

Karen/Naked ovary  

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Lori said...
I used to look at celebrities older than me who managed to get pregnant later in life (Madonna, Jane Seymour, Geena Davis are a few that come to mind) and I thought that if they could do it, so could I. I want to believe that I have the same chance, but I fear that I don't. I don't have the money for 7 IVFs. I don't have a career that would finance me taking time off to pursue the treatments. But at least I don't have people publishing articles for all to see about whether I'm pregnant or not or having problems. Strangers didn't read about my miscarriages the way we've read about Courtney Cox's or Nicole Kidman's. Small consolation. Would I trade my privacy (and that of a future baby's) to have the money and clout they have to pay for the IVFs? Since I've never walked in their Manolo Blahniks, I don't know.  

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Colette said...
Just wanted to say that laughter is the best medicine for me today. I have thought many of the same things and appreciated the dark humour with which you articulated yourself. May you be blessed...  

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I agree the way in which celebrities are presented by the media can be quite annoying. I am sick of hearing about celebs and what they eat and don't eat, what they wear, why they go, etc. I could care less! I too agree that Star Jones is overbearing but don't think that Starr hasn't suffered. She's a black woman in America! She's a fat black woman in America! She's suffered. Maybe it isn't in they way you would like, but don't think for a second she hasn't suffered along with all the skinny, rich, famous white chicks and Connie Chung.  

At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Count me in on the Star Jones, uh, dislike. In my wicked heart, yeah, I kind of hope she has a little trouble. But then I think that maybe that thought will rebound on me and my upcoming cycle will be doomed because I ill-wished someone. Nah, I'm not superstitious :).

There's an outside chance that Elizabeth Edwards used her own eggs - my mother could get pregnant on her own into her late 40s. (Ironic that she bore me, unable to conceive naturally at 23, but that's life). I have to say though, I'd hate to be the RE treating not one, but two trial lawyers...

- Sonetka  

At 1:38 PM, Blogger JJ said...
Julianna,

Because your blog doesn't have trackbacks, I just wanted to let you know this post has been included in the latest edition of The Sunday Post.

http://www.jellybelly-jj.com/archives/2004/10/24/the-sunday-post-vol-i-iss-viii-double-edition/  

At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
This site is hilarious! Thank the Lord there are more women like me out there...bitter and pissed at all the pregnant bitches that say "We weren't even trying!" Although I know it is not productive and doesn't really do any good to bitch and moan and be bitter al the time, but sometimes it feels god to laugh and let my "real" feelings out!

As for Star Jones, I agree that she has had it a bit hard havig to compete with all the skinny white bitches in Hwood, however, judging from her exreme gastric surgery she wants to be more like them than not. Star doesn't really bother me, but that Hasselback...if I could wish anything evil on someone it would be her! She absolutely SUCKS. She is the dumbest, most vapid, waste of space I have evr seen. Why Babs Walters has not realized this is shocing to me. Her shirt the other day made it even worse! I don't even watch the view and I can't stand her, not to mention what I hope happens t her (God forgive me). And don't even get me started on anorexic Kelly Ripa!

One thing I wish would happen is that some of these celebs like Cox and Shields would take a stand and get behind infertility and lobby and speak out about the issues. It would bring it out of the closet and help others to feel less stigmatized...who knows maybe one day.  

Post a Comment  •  Home