Thursday, September 30, 2004
The Governor Called
That is what it feels like............like waiting for the Governor to call with a stay of execution.

Out of the 17, 14 were mature and as of this morning, 13 have fertilized.

THIRTEEN HAVE FERTILIZED!!!! Please let there be at least one good one. PLEASE!

I think I have worked myself up into an ulcer....I have been awake since 6:30 and all of the terrible memories of IVF #1 repeated themselves over and over and over again in my mind. We got the call last time that nothing fertilized so of course, that was my fear. Even though we did ICSI this time, I still was afraid of a repeat.

My past haunts me. The desperate rescue ICSI at 23 hours post retrieval last time ended up with 9 fertilized eggs. PGD study revealed ALL of them to be so severely chromosomally abnormal that even the embryologist got dry heaves.

All of my eggs are in this basket. I am betting that rescue ICSI causes severe abnormalities. This is the study that my maternal life depends on:

Rescue ICSI of unfertilized oocytes after IVF
W. Kuczyski1,3,5, M. Dhont4, C. Grygoruk1,3, P. Pietrewicz3, S. Redzko2 and
M. Szamatowicz1
1 Department of Gynecology and 2 Department of Perinatology, Bialystok
Medical University, Sklodowskiej 24A, Bialystok 15–276, 3
Cryobank–Infertility Center, Bialystok, Poland and 4 Infertility Center,
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium

BACKGROUND: Failed fertilization after IVF occurs in 10–20% of cycles.
Conflicting results of rescue fertilization by ICSI have been reported. We
therefore compared the success rate in terms of fertilization and pregnancy
of cycles in which rescue ICSI was performed with those from a matched
control group of primarily ICSI cycles. METHODS: Unfertilized oocytes from
IVF cycles with total fertilization failure where at least four metaphase II
oocytes were available were treated by ICSI (group I; n = 120). A matched
control group was established with patients undergoing ICSI during the same
period (group II; n = 280). RESULTS: Both fertilization rate and the
proportion of embryos with four blastomeres on day 2 after ICSI were
significantly higher in the control group (P < 0.05). Embryo quality,
however, was comparable in both groups. The pregnancy rate in the control
group was 25.3% whereas in group I with rescue ICSI, no pregnancy was
obtained. CONCLUSIONS: Although unfertilized oocytes after IVF can be
fertilized by ICSI, the developmental potential of the ensuing embryos is
very poor. Therefore, rescue ICSI after total failure of fertilization is
not recommended.


With IVF#1, either my eggs didn't get fertilized initially because they were severely abnormal or something simple was wrong (eggshell too thick or sperm not quite strong enough).

If my eggs are indeed cooked, none of these will be okay.

If we just needed a little help breaking through my eggshell, this could be excellent.

I begged, borrowed and sold myself to my husband to convince him to try one more time.

I could not accept being a 65 year old woman and looking back on my life and wondering if we were so close.

Now we will know.

Needless to say, I am no longer in my pool of calm. Now I can freak out and I am. I will get in my pool of calm again in a few days if I am lucky enough to get to transfer with this IVF.

Transfer is the line that I need to cross over. One step at a time. If I get to know what transfer is like, I will have progressed.

I need to keep my eye on the trail. I see an occupant for my nursery in the far distance if I can just keep stepping forward. Baby steps people, baby steps.
posted by Julianna · 9/30/2004

15 Comments:
At 10:39 AM, Blogger April said...
WOW! Thirteen!!! (and a lucky number to boot).

You'll be in my thoughts in the next few days. Just remember. toe... heel... toe... heel... one small step at a time is all it takes to make it to your destination.

April  

At 10:39 AM, Blogger April said...
WOW! Thirteen!!! (and a lucky number to boot).

You'll be in my thoughts in the next few days. Just remember. toe... heel... toe... heel... one small step at a time is all it takes to make it to your destination.

April  

At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Obviously the past does not predict the future (or you wouldn't have gotten this far!). No reason to believe this won't continue to be true. And 13 fertilized-that's FANTASTIC!! When will you get the results of the PGD studies??
-Abby  

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
That's fantastic. Holding my breath and hoping for you . . . .  

At 2:22 PM, Blogger E. said...
Giant WOW! And congratulations! That is one huge hurdle in your rearview mirror. Onward and upward! I'm hoping so hard for you!  

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Miss X said...
13 sounds great! I'm praying for your miracle!  

At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
13 is fantastics! Wonderful...wishing you oodles of luck.

xxoo,

Emily
scrambledeggs  

At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yes, one step at a time. First, fertilization then the transfer. I REALLY want this to work for you! Of course, I'll be keeping you in my prayers that you will have a transfer soon. After that, a positive beta!  

At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
13. In my book, that is overachievement.
I agree with a previous post - one of the "perks" (ha!) of this process is that, indeed, past results mean diddly squat for future results.
So I hope several of those 13 puppies make it.
Hoping, hoping, hoping, hoping for you.
And thank you for your support over at my pad, with all of this going on at yours!
Big, big, hug to you,
Menita
(lifesjestbook)  

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Heather said...
13 fertilized?! That is phenomenal! You have exactly the right attitude (as usual). Just take it one step at a time until all that's left is bringing that healthy, beautiful baby home from the hospital. All in good time, right?  

At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
That is so fantastic. You should feel good about this. It is awesome. Not to compare, but you seem to have more eggs than most women going through IVF.
History does not always repeat itself. Thinking good thoughts for you and your embies.

Jacqueline  

At 2:33 AM, Blogger Sandy said...
Popped in to see how you did Thursday and see this great news! So you're right...baby steps, one at a time, stay near the edge of the pool of calm, and we'll keep praying for you!  

At 6:59 AM, Blogger Dee said...
What good news and you're right, one baby step at a time--you can make it. Feel free to get in and out of your pool of calm whenever you like--kind of like a mental game of Marco Polo. And know that we're here with you, in both the deep and shallow ends, baby stepping every inch of the way.

Sending good thoughts your way for more good news.  

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Jeangenie said...
Fingers crossed - if all the good thoughts winging their way to you can help, then all will be well. Have a day or two now to let off angst, then back to serenity in time for implantation. My very best wishes (and to all others undergoing the same turmoil).  

At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
i went throuh my ivf#1 AND THEY DID A RESCUE ICSI(OF COURSE THEY CHARGED MORE $) THEY TRANSFER 3 EMBYYOS NONE OF THEM ACHIEVED PREGNANCY IF I HAVE READ YOUR LETTER BEFORE I WOULD KNOWN BETTER NOT TO DO THIS RESCUE ICSI... THEY DON'T DO THE BIOPSY WERE I LIVE SO THE HOPE WAS HIGH AND THAT IS WORSE THEY EVEN SAID THAT THEY HAS FULL TERM PREGNANCIES (4) WITH RESCUE ICSI NOW I BELIEVE IS A LIE I AM STILL THINKING ABOUT A SECOND ONE  

Post a Comment  •  Home