Friday, March 18, 2005
Screw The Cork : Wine Night Knowledge
As our second installment in the "Wine Night Chronicles", I must preface everything by stating that I hail from an area that adds Sprite* and ice to their red wine so that it has more flavor.

Compared to what I did three years ago, I know an enormous amount about wines, but.... compared to our wine-making friends, I know a miniscule amount.

The thing that gets me about wine and tastings is the pretentiousness that can be involved and the intimidation factor.

Don't ever let anyone make you feel inferiour or intimidated by your wine knowledge.

This brings me to this:


Screw Top Wine Bottle Posted by Hello

Yes.

A screw top wine bottle.

The rage of the future.


Corkless Bottle Posted by Hello

I don't know what I am going to do with all of my fancy cork screws, but they are not long for this world.


What To Do With The Wine Openers? Posted by Hello

The purpose of a cork is quite simple: to keep the wine inside the bottle and to seal out the air.

When I first went to Napa Valley, I learned about smelling and tasting and swirling and one of the main things that I remember from that first lesson, oh.......eight years ago or more, is that you NEVER, ever, EVER, smell the cork. A true wine connoisseur simply looks at a cork to view whether it has been stored correctly and an amateur is spotted easily if he smells a cork.

You never want to see that the wine has "bled" on the cork. You look to make sure it has been stored properly.

Imagine my surprise, when our winemaker friends always smelled the corks!

Yes.

They put the cork to their nose and smell it.

I have witnessed on THREE occasions that they poured the wine down the sink after smelling the cork. They smelled something like mildew or moldy and that meant that the wine was "corked".

It is estimated that 3 to 7 percent--of wines are ruined, or at least compromised from a quality perspective, by tainted corks. This is especially true in restaurants, where heat can be an issue.

BACTERIA in the cork or chemical compounds inadvertently created during the cork-making process can pass into the wine and spoil its aroma and flavor. Nobody knows why this happens; if they did, "corked" wines would be a non-issue.

(Enter stage right)

I Prefer A Pretty Cork Posted by Hello
Corkless wine.


Corks Are Pretty Posted by Hello


There is a renowned restaurant in the town that I live that sliced its corks longways and hot-glued them to the ceilings. They have an AWESOME ceiling in their bar area and it took two years of corks to accomplish this amazing spectacle.

Sorry, I don't have a picture.

Corks are pretty and decorative.

Can you imagine the ambiance let down when a waiter appears with a $250.00 bottle of their best reserve only to unscrew the cap?

It just ruins the moment.

The main obstacle to the screw cap is the psychological barrier.

Screw tops keep the air out better than any cork, but they are forced to sit by the sidelines until the public is ready to accept them.

In the meantime, collect your corks, they may be a vintage Ebay item in the future.
posted by Julianna · 3/18/2005

5 Comments:
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
I've had a bottle of wine that was corked! The wine reeked of mildew, though, so there was no need to smell the cork. My husband, however, drank almost a full glass before he realized that something was wrong. :)

An interesting tidbit about corks. Corks are made from the bark of cork trees, so the trees themselves do not have to be cut down or damaged in any way to make the corks. These trees serve as a habitat for all sorts of birds and animals, and some people are concerned that a move towards plastic corks or screw tops will lead to decreased trees and loss of habitat for animals.

And, I agree, corks are just more beautiful!  

At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...
"adds Sprite* and ice"? Isn't that illegal (said in shriekey voice)? If not, it should be.
As for plastic corks, they should be illegal too. Wine becomes just another standardised, "safe", international, bland product product with plastic corks. Hurrah for the risk of a corked bottle.
Your wine articles are very informative.
Oh, and thanks for your comments on mine;-)  

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Amyesq said...
Sigh. I am right there with you on the screw top wine thing. I don't know - it IS all psychological I suppose. You wine night knowledge came just in time. Since I start my exercise regime on Monday, I need to drink as much as I can this weekend.  

At 12:42 AM, Blogger Cass said...
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I actually kinda like the screw tops. I don't think they're anywhere near as beautiful or classy as real cork, but there is something to be said for the bottle of Big House White that can live in my fridge on it's side without spilling even after I've downed half of it. It's not often that I have that much left, but it's nice to know that when I do, it will be sitting there waiting for my next negative-test drinking need.  

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Julianna said...
Thank you anonymous for the lovely tidbits about the cork trees! I wonder if the cork tree farmers are concerned about their future?

I just can't get used to the screw tops.  

Post a Comment  •  Home